Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pro Angler Stability
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have fished the gulf coast for about 50 years out of center console power boats (which I have sold) and am about to purchase my first kayak for fishing shallow water....I have heard the Pro Angler is easy to stand and cast out of and also easy to get in and out in shallow water in order to wade fish......anyone with any information on this ? pro or con...it would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Pro Angler Stability
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:44 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Where on the Gulf Coast are you located. Hobies dominate in the Destin to Pensacola area. Lots of Hobies down in Texas too. The PA will not disappoint. People regularly take these off shore to troll king mackerel and several sailfish were caught off Panama City to Pensacola this fall.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:16 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

We won't get into age here... but I'm thinking I'm in the 'age range' you're talking about if not slightly older. Anyway, I've stood up in the PA. More than once. It's easily climbed in and out of in shallow water. I myself won't do a lot of standing and fishing. I know where I'd be. Side note, before subjecting yourself to any conditions that might put you at risk, KNOW YOU CAN GET BACK ON BOARD in deep water. To the point of practicing it while wearing all your gear you normally should be or would be wearing and have all your normal fishing gear "in the way"......

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Why1504 and Yakkingaway.....thank you both very much for your response....it helps a lot...I think for what I'm looking for that the PA is the unit best suited ... I am very excited about getting into this new experience.....also, if age were a measuring stick, I would have to be "thrown back"...... (71).....catch some fish guys......Richard.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:25 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Good for you and keep getting it. I think you'll find this experience very rewarding. I have to use a trailer to load and unload from to keep from trying to heft one of these suckers over my head. You've got me by a few years. But I'm still not about to do any more lifting something as heavy as the PA over my head. Good luck.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have also been looking at trailers....I definitely am going to get one...no way I can lift on top of my car........I've seen one or two that could be adapted to carry the PA but they are a little more price wise than I expected.....one is around 1400 and the other is around 2500..... maybe that is what I will have to end up spending to get what I want.....In meantime, I'm going to keep looking.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:26 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I did the Trail-x or whatever it is.. The 350. It costs too much but doesn't anything any more. I'm sure with the time, and inclination, one of the cheap trailers from Northern or Chicago Tools would easily be converted. Do all you want too and if it rusts, get another. But really the trailer doesn't really need to get in the water at all... should last all the longer you'd need. I wish now I'd done that but I was a little anxious and caught in the camping season with no way to haul the PA around. "I fixed it".......

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:43 pm 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
trophy tackle wrote:
I have also been looking at trailers....I definitely am going to get one...no way I can lift on top of my car........I've seen one or two that could be adapted to carry the PA but they are a little more price wise than I expected.....one is around 1400 and the other is around 2500..... maybe that is what I will have to end up spending to get what I want.....In meantime, I'm going to keep looking.

where in the panhandle are you? We sell the trailex trailers for the Pro Angler. I'm converting an older trailex we've used in the shop to a Pro angler trailer. Should be Pro Angler ready in a week or so. The PA is a great boat we can certainly get you in one for a demo if you need.

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I love my Trailex Trailer. I have the same setup as you see in the hobie catalog including 2 Pro Anglers and the Thule box. I am in FWB for the week. My setup is a dream. This afternoon I launched about 70 yards form the water. Pulled one boat back part of the way off the trailer, stuck my wheels in the rear scupper holes and walked to the water. Loading was just as easy.rolled it up as I loaded it on the trailer the cart fell out and it was done.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Why1504....that's exactly what I want...I want a trailer for two kayaks, one the Pro Angler for me and another one (yet to be determined) for my wife....I am going to look at that and maybe contact Brad there at Sunjammers.....thank you all for all of your feed back.....it really helps.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:10 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

trophy tackle wrote:
I have heard the Pro Angler is easy to stand....
A couple of the locals showing off. Notice the water is calm. It's always a good idea to be tethered to your boat just in case -- a little breeze can carry it off in a hurry! 8)
Image Image

Image Image Image

PS I doubt that the cargo well was intended as a standing platform. Normally it would be used for gear, although a few guys have seated their wives or grandchildren back there. Nevertheless, it gives you an idea about the stability.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Roadrunner......perfect.....thanks so much.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

why1504----I fish between Galveston to south of Corpus Christi, Laguna Madre area.....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Check out the Texas Kayak fishing group. Lots of Hobie fishermen down there.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I tried a Pro Angler in Austin and was extremely impressed with its stability and general maneuverability. I stood up with no problem at all and had no problems in any way while trying the big dude out. Everything went perfectly. If you do fall out, I would suspect the easiest reentry would be over the stern, at least for me, and that is just a guess, but it is exactly where I would go first I believe, simply because that part of the kayak has a great handle, is wide, apparently stable and closer to water level. It might make a difference depending on your size; I am 5'6", 165 pounds and 69 years-old.

Hobies are becoming more popular in Texas and on the Texas Gulf Coast, primarily due to the efforts of Austin Canoe and Kayak, http://www.austinkayak.com/ , and Jerry B's, http://www.jerrybskayaks.com/ , out of Corpus Christi.

The best Texas fishing kayak site is: http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com

Ray

Phone: 254-772-3520