Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:44 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I would like to get a set of wheels for the Bravo so I can move it along myself but the price tag is more than I want to pay. Anyone cone up with any affordable solutions? I have lots of nice spots to sail in my area but many aren't accessible by regular trailer.

Thanks again guys!

Rob

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I built a "custom" solution for my Bravo for helping to move the boat around without a trailer. Pretty simple, really, but it works. I purchased two 10" pneumatic wheels (premounted on a bracket to the axle) and simply mounted these to a 2"x6" board. I added a few small pieces of 2x4 at the ends of the 2x6 to act as stops to prevent to boat from slipping off and covered the entire mechanism with indoor/outdoor carpet.

I attached a 2x4 in the middle of the 2x6 to act as a tongue. I simply cut the tongue at an angle and added another 2x4 extension at an angle raise the tongue with a handle. The joint was glued and supported with metal gusset plates. The 2x6 holds the majority of the boat weight but another was required mid-way along the length of the 2x4 tongue to support the boat.

It has worked well for me. In hindsight, the 2x4 tongue that I used might have been better served as a piece of extruded Aluminim as it warped / twisted just a little.

Final costs - as follow:
(2) Pre-mounted wheels - $17 ea ($34 total)
(1) 2x6 - surplus
(1) 2x4 - surplus
(1) Piece of indoor / outdoor carpet - $10

I hope that this is of some help. The entire assembly will float in the water without the weight of the boat and this can make it a little more difficult to retrieve the boat from the water.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Do you have a picture of this?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:41 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yes...pics please!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I am attaching a few pictures of the "beta" version. There is no doubt that a nice Aluminum Hobie or Sietech dolly is nicer and very robust, but this is certainly a cost effective solution! In addition, I believe that other dollies offer wider wheels - better for sand - which I did not opt for as I planned to use the dolly on asphalt, concrete or packed dirt.

I originally designed this as a transition from my trailer to the water. I've never really needed it as the ramps that I have gone to allow me good access to the water. The dolly interfaces perfectly with the height of the trailer and allows me to easily transfer it between dolly and trailer. It is, however, useful for freeing-up the trailer for other tasks!

Now showing is the handle - I simply use a piece of 1/2" PVC electrical conduit. Does the job.

The dolly is well balanced with the stern at the handle side of the dolly.

The "front" support simply drops into place, secured by a couple of boards. This could certainly be improved upon. I tie-in in with bungie cords so that it does not float away when submerged in the water!

Other suggestions - a nice coat of paint would help to preserve the wood. The joint of the 2x4 near the handle was a point of concern but has not (yet) failed. I believe that a more robust custom bracket (similar to that cut/welded as described below) would be fun to do and would offer better structural support.

Lastly, I changed the mounting of the back support (with the wheels) so that it can be easily disassembled. I found that the completed assembly was too large and cumbersome for storage; the disassembled unit is easy to store. I used a piece of steel and cut / welded the angles to obtain a nice 90 degree bend.

As contribution to the community, I would welcome improvements offered by the group!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Very cool! This might be my first project for my newly aquired Bravo. Thank you for the post.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My friend has a Sietech dolly for a Laser II and these are nicely constructed and certainly more lightweight than the wooden system. Then again, they also cost $500+. The wooden dolly works well to move the boat around the yard or boat ramp!

Good luck.... maybe you'll be able to improve upon the design - I would be interested in your results!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I built this contraption. The big wheels were expensive (about $80 each I think) and I had to order them from Florida so the shipping added more. The rest is cheap though. The axel is a 5/8" x 6' threaded rod u-bolted to a 2x6 with short steel pipe sleeves over the ends to fit the 3/4" wheel bushings (the average hardware store does not have that schedule pipe but I was able to order a piece on line for about $30 if remember correctly). The stick in the middle is just to keep it right side up. I lift the bow and kick the dolly under as far as I can, then wiggle and rock it into the centre. The axel is just long enough to tie a rope around the ends and over the boat without it touching the wheels. I pass the rope under the foot straps and tie it down tight so it won't slide around too much, then just pull the whole rig with the grab handles on the boat. It rolls easily over sand and everything else.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:39 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Finally got around to making a dolly for the Bravos....the ghetto dolly!!!!

Nuttin' fancy but gets the job done. I wouldn't go on loose sand with it but will work on hard or compacted ground.