Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 1:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

We have had a Getaway since the first model in 2001. We just began setting up our NEW Hobie getaway (2005 model) and have ran into serious problems:

1. Jib attachment on both the top and bottom.

2. Attachment of the forestay on the top mast tang.

First of all, above the top swivel on the forestay we found a large shackle... nothing more. We believe that there should be a 6-8" pigtail in this area. The pigtail should alow us to share the main shackle with the side-stays. [b]THERE IS NOTHING THERE[/b]. So obviously, this a major mfg. defect!

Second, since the pigtail is missing, there is no attachment point at the top of the mast for the jib. Right now we substituted a long bow shackle for this, but this also needs to be addressed.

Third, the luff tension as stated in the instruction manual is a joke. running a small piece of line between the foot of the jib luff to a shackle does not allow the roller furler to work properly. The line twists and twists instead of rolling the jib smoothly.

Ideas, comments, question... we are baffled and have been sailing Hobies for 15 years.

PS... How about a normal zippered jib with a standard jib halyard??? Not rocket science, just standard stuff.

Mike
[email protected]

Post subject: Interesting...
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 4:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Upon further review... we may have a 2004 front sail setup/rig. But we are still missing the 6-8" extension above the swivel...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 12:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had a zipper put in my jib, along with a standard jib halyard when I purchased my Getaway. Makes life a lot easier! (I leave my boat on the beach with the mast up all summer, but didn't want to leave the jib on the boat.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 7:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I bought a used 2003 getaway and sounds like the same setup. Jib is tightend with a small piece of rope top and bottom. It was all twisted on top and no matter what i do to get it straight it just twists back up. There is no wire sewed into the sail, so can't tighten it too much like the 16's.

Do you ever feel that the mast is overrotating too much? Seems like if you limit it a little it would create a better sail shape.

Post subject: Shackle
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 9:59 am 
Site Admin

Shackle at the top is the correct setup. That shackle hangs from the main shackle between the shroud wires. This was changed several years ago due to some wear issues with the older version wire thimble. There is no additional pigtail.

The sail is assembled and tensioned by the factory loft. If you leave it alone, it would be just as designed.

Unfortunatly a change in the manual did not go along with new boats to explain this. That has already been corrected.

The attachment at the bottom is as shown in the manual. The foot shackles to the adjuster plate / lower end of the forestay. This is a solid connection to the furler and will force the jib to furl when the furler spins. The luff tension line goes at the top.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Ok thats how mine is setup. So there is only one luff tension line at the top. Somebody had a line at the bottom as well which didn't seem to add any benefit. I keep my Getaway on the beach and want to de tension this however these boats are a little harder to put on the side to adjust rigging. I believe my tension was way too tight when I got the boat. Wire was a little slack. Ive tightened it enough to just pull the jib snug. The line still wraps around the rigging when everything is furled, but if that’s the way it is, ok.

Post subject: sidestays
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Interesting.

My 2005 has the shrouds hooked up slightly differently and I'm wondering if anyone cares to comment on the arrangement. The post from mmiller that includes a picture is what I'll reference to explain this. My shackle has the pin going through the small hole at the bottom of the tang as in the picture. However, the shackle itself runs through the larger hold just above that one and a shround sits on either side. Seems like an interesting setup that might prevent tangles more than the depicted setup but it does shorten the lines a tiny bit. I'm not sure if I should change it or not... but I'm interested in opinions :-)

Tony

Post subject: Shackle
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I believe that the upper hole is for the trapeze.

I experienced the same questions/issues but with the help of Matt and the owner at Kitty Hawk sports I have resolved all the issues. Can now furl the jib on the way in, steer into the wind and end up right at my dock. Thanks to all who helped.

Keelover

Post subject: Re: Shackle
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

keelover wrote:
I believe that the upper hole is for the trapeze. Keelover

You COULD use the upper hole for the trapeze BUT it is just as easy to use the same "D" shackle for all your lines. You can use a little larger than stock shackle - especially if you are putting up a double-trap. But it is not really necessary. Using one shackle instead of two seems to make set up easier too since you are dealing with all the lines descending from a "common point" (more or less). :)

Sail on sailors!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yes, upon further inspection (not going from memory :-)), all appears in order -- the top holes are being used for my trap while the lower hole contains shackle for the stays. Sorry for the confusion :-)

Post subject: Correct setup
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:15 am 
Site Admin

Correct setup for the shoruds and trapeze. This mast tang is the same as all the other cats.

The lower hole is for the 5/16" shackle and bears the loads of the rig (shrounds and forestay).

The upper two holes... one small and one large handle the trapeze wires: The trapeze is hung from a 1/4" bow shackle. The shackle pin passes through the upper hole and the hoop passes through the larger hole. the trapeze wires hang on the hoop seperated by the tang.

We went to this dual shackle setup in the... late 70s or early 80s to reduce damage to wires, thimbles and reduce the load on the shackles and tang. The original setup was a single shackle. There were problems.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)