Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: tiger spinnaker diagrams
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Anyone have a diagram of the tiger spinnaker with the end pole snuffer. I need it so i can rig it by myself as I am not near a dealer or other boat. I would like to get exact rope lengths for the adjustments. It will have three tabs sewn in the sail for the snuffer. The diagram on the website is too faint and not clear.

From all the postings I get the impression that it is a bit of a bear to set up.

Also I was told that you should not be going staight downwind when snuffing. Was it a port tack??? that you are best off for snuffing the spi? Meaning the sail on the right side? I assume this as the snuffer rope would be exposed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Alan:

You asked to the diagrams of an ENDPOLE system, but you mention the difficulties that I would relate to a midpole system. I think that I had the only endpole system at the F18 North Americans so there are not many people that can help you. That is why I am responding.

I have two points on my spinnaker for dousing.
I only run the halyard to the middle of the trampoline as a turn around.
I cleat the halyard on the mast about 4 ft from deck.
I made my own snuffer.

Take a look at http://members.aol.com/ddelave/graphics/dansnuffer.jpg

Later,
Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Dan. Sounds like good ideas.

I can clarify my questions a bit by asking the following...

The forward clew/downhaul (not sure of proper name) line is tied at the forward base of the sail and then (guess) goes through a block on the aft of the snuffer ring then aft through a double block (one facing forward and one aft) then forward to be tied at the aft of the snuffer ring. Is this correct?

Then a rope which is attached to the top of the sail (spi halyard assume) goes up through the ring around the mast, (a ball is figure eight knotted to limit the tightness of the sail) through the pulley on the mast, then back down inside the ring again down through the cleat on the mast you suggest, through the pulley to the right of the mast on the crossbar forward to the double pulley (that the spi downhaul is attached to the other side of) and then back to an enclosed cleat (not sure what proper name is) on the crossbar, then through a hole in the tramp forward through the snuffer bag out through the snuffer ring to the holes in the sail and tied to the top hole. Is this correct?

So to snuff the spi, you undo the cleat on the mast as you pull the rope that goes though the deck?

Have I got it?.

How much slack rope is on the deck or just whatever is left from the 26 meters?

Is the lack of endpole snuffers due to windage?

Dan you mentioned that you only run the halyard to the middle of the tramp as a turnaround. What did you mean by that?

Appreciate the help.

Havin a ball with the boat in the meantime. Haven't tried to figure out the trapeze yet.. Can't wait.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:40 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I can answer part of this(I think).

Quote:
The forward clew/downhaul (not sure of proper name) line is tied at the forward base of the sail and then (guess) goes through a block on the aft of the snuffer ring then aft through a double block (one facing forward and one aft) then forward to be tied at the aft of the snuffer ring. Is this correct?

You have a mid-pole snuffer for sure. The double-block is part of the mechanism that hauls the tack (go terminology!) of the sail out to the end of the spinnaker pole, and lets it come back into the snuffer when dousing. This is correct!

Quote:
Then a rope which is attached to the top of the sail (spi halyard assume) goes up through the ring around the mast, (a ball is figure eight knotted to limit the tightness of the sail) through the pulley on the mast, then back down inside the ring again down through the cleat on the mast you suggest, through the pulley to the right of the mast on the crossbar forward to the double pulley (that the spi downhaul is attached to the other side of) and then back to an enclosed cleat (not sure what proper name is) on the crossbar, then through a hole in the tramp forward through the snuffer bag out through the snuffer ring to the holes in the sail and tied to the top hole. Is this correct?

Yes! Though I am not sure why you need both the mast cleat and the crossbar cleat - the Tiger I sailed on use only the crossbar cleat (a lance cleat, go terminology again) to hold the spinnaker up; it holds itself in the snuffer just fine :) The point to see here is that the same line takes the spinnaker up and down, depending on which way you pull!

Quote:
So to snuff the spi, you undo the cleat on the mast as you pull the rope that goes though the deck?

Yes - but these are the same line, you are just pulling different directions.

Quote:
How much slack rope is on the deck or just whatever is left from the 26 meters?

Beacuse the line runs both ways and has no block-and-tackle for mechanical advantage, you don't need much slack at all, and there's never any 'left-over' line sitting on the deck. A mid-pole snuffer has the extra 'double block' that takes the tack out to the end of the pole when raising, but I don't think that adds much in the way of slack to the system.

Quote:
Dan you mentioned that you only run the halyard to the middle of the tramp as a turnaround. What did you mean by that?

With the one line, the crew needs to pull from fore-to-aft to raise the spi, and aft-to-fore to douse it. Unless your crew wants to stand on the front crossbar, some of the line needs to run aft of the crossbar. The Tiger I have crewed on has the line running all the way to the back of the tramp; I like Dan's idea of only running it halfway - this allows the crew enough room to get a good grip and haul that line like hell to get the sail up and down, without having the disadvantage that the skipper or the mainsheet may get caught up in it while hauling.

I don't own a Tiger, so take my explaination as-is, but I'm pretty sure of this part!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

[quote]You have a mid-pole snuffer for sure. The double-block is part of the mechanism that hauls the tack (go terminology!) of the sail out to the end of the spinnaker pole, and lets it come back into the snuffer when dousing. This is correct![quote]

Actually I was just looking at the picture on the manual on the web. My pole has a ring on the end but I guessed (obviously incorrectly) that it was similar to the setup I have. Is the midpole superior?

[quote] Though I am not sure why you need both the mast cleat and the crossbar cleat - the Tiger I sailed on use only the crossbar cleat (a lance cleat, go terminology again) to hold the spinnaker up; it holds itself in the snuffer just fine :) The point to see here is that the same line takes the spinnaker up and down, depending on which way you pull!

That makes sense. (Al)

[quote]With the one line, the crew needs to pull from fore-to-aft to raise the spi, and aft-to-fore to douse it. Unless your crew wants to stand on the front crossbar, some of the line needs to run aft of the crossbar. The Tiger I have crewed on has the line running all the way to the back of the tramp; I like Dan's idea of only running it halfway - this allows the crew enough room to get a good grip and haul that line like hell to get the sail up and down, without having the disadvantage that the skipper or the mainsheet may get caught up in it while hauling. [quote]

So is this what the slack that I referred to is for?

Thanks for the help! :)