Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi, all! I'm new to this forum, but something of an "old salt" in paddle and sail activities in central FL where I live. I'm considering the purchase of a Hobie Adventure Island sailing kayak. I'm intrigued by its versatility as described by the owners here - a single craft that all in one glorious day could be paddled, pedaled, sailed, and fished from! I'm trying to find a way to actually try one out and get the first-hand experience (speed, stability, maneuverability, etc.). To that end I am thinking about making the drive to Tampa one of these days to do a day-rental of one from The Tackle Shack. (Did anyone else do this before buying, BTW?)

Assuming I like the AI, the remaining thing I have to work out is how to store and transport it. I currently own a trailer outfitted with a cradle to carry a Seitech dolly (I use it to transport a Precision Sailcraft Megabyte, a racing dinghy similar to a Laser).

http://www.castlecraft.com/seitech_dolly.htm

Therefore, I'm wondering if I could just buy another Seitech dolly, modify it to carry the AI, and then simply use my existing trailer to transport and deploy either the Megabyte or the AI as the occasion calls for it. A dolly is a lot less expensive than a second trailer! So my question is: Has anyone else used a Seitech dolly to store or transport an AI, fully assembled with the amas attached? Would the dolly need to be modified (e.g., with the Hobie AI-specific cradles) to give the AI the support it needs? I tried asking Hobie support this question, and they responded with a somewhat noncommittal, "Trailering and storing an Island fully assembled should be no problem as long as the main hull and the amas are fully supported.". This leads me to believe that they may not have firsthand experience with using a Seitech dolly on an AI, so I'm posting the same question to the forum in hopes of finding someone who does. :D

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and I appreciate any advice folks can offer. :)

-- Blaik

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:55 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Blaik, welcome to the forum. It appears that the Seitech dollys are custom sized for each application. My concern is that the collapsed AI might not fit between the wheels (but isn't uniformly wide enough to span the wheels); adapting a cradle on top of the wheels appears awkward and would require a pretty deep mount and release.

Most AI users attach the AI cradles directly to their trailer. Another way to do this is to use the Hobie cart shown here to wheel your AI in and out of the water to your waiting trailer (if not launching directly). Essentially you'd be replacing the Seitech dolly with the cart.

The newer carts have a wider wheel base and you can also get a "Trax" cart (fat wheel version) that works great in sand, shown here:

You could work out a quick mount for the cradles so your trailer could be used for either.

Personally I assemble the AI at the truck and roll it right into the water -- no cradle or trailer required. So you can see there are a lot of options. If you do keep it assembled, it should sit on the cradle though, one way or the other. 8)

PS. Most AI purchasers demo or rent before purchasing if possible -- very prudent! :wink: