Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter wrote:
The closer it gets to the weekend, the harder it's getting for me to fit in our trip. I have to finish off our house building before our family come out from UK over Christmas so ever weekend is pretty valuable. I'm trying my hardest ie: working nights, but after being all enthusiastic at first, now I'm struggling to make the time. I'll have to make a decision tomorrow night. In the meantime, where abouts can you turn right off Manly Rd towards the Car Park ?

Hope you can make it. First time I tried getting there I went the wrong way.... :oops:

The second time I did this....

Proceeding north up Manly Road after crossing the The Spit Bridge, keep to the left lane and turn left at Sydney Rd.
At the larrge Roundabout turn hard left onto Ethel St.
After crossing the bridge over Manly Rd, my GPS had me turn right into Kanangra Cres, left onto Peronne Ave and work down the hill where you can make a hard right onto Sandy Bay Rd.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

So who is now going? How many AIs are we likely to have all in one place

Det
PS Broke another rudder pin tonight in fantastic 20knt winds off Shark Island - cut my sail short and peddled back using my new $29 paddle as a rudder - I love these boats, 2 propulsion methods can fail an you can still self rescue.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Crikey, hope you've got a good supply of spare parts on you :lol:

Out of interest was the pin a black one or grey one?

Winds for tomorrow are looking pretty light. Might pay to meet at Clontaff for a launch rather than spending 1/2 a day trying to meet up in the middle someplace. What do you think?

I'm thinking sandwiches or similar for lunch.

At the moment looks like the 2 of us with a maybe from Slaughter.
I did email some other people and there was some interest but I haven't heard any further updates.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Fellas, really sorry but can't make it. I have a truck load of soil to move and not enough hours in the day.
Hope you have a good day okz00k and CGM and we can all catch up again soon. I really enjoy the Amarda's. It's one of the best bit about sail'n an AI.

P.S. Don't forget the camera. Look'n forward to seing the shots.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I picked up my AI from Woollarha Sailing Club this evening and have it on the roof of my Prado with all nuts and bolts tightened. I had a spare black rudder pin (must get some grey ones) and borrowed a sail batten. I'll leave Balmain at 7:45 and expect to get to Sandy Bay beach before 8:30. See you there.

I'm all packed except for lunch - I'll nick up to Woollies now to get the makings.

I'm soooo excited to sail in the company of another AI. For the past 4 weeks I've felt like a lonely signet on Sydney Harbour.

Det

Last edited by okz00k on Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Det, I would have thought it would be a lot quicker to get from Rose Bay to Clontarf than from Balmain. It's a real pain getting past Circular Quay - you have to stay on the starboard (Quay) side of the channel and stay out of the way of all the ferries. Then you have to sail all the way up to Middle Head, which is almost opposite Rose Bay. I would be allowing a lot more than 45 minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
Det, I would have thought it would be a lot quicker to get from Rose Bay to Clontarf than from Balmain. It's a real pain getting past Circular Quay - you have to stay on the starboard (Quay) side of the channel and stay out of the way of all the ferries. Then you have to sail all the way up to Middle Head, which is almost opposite Rose Bay. I would be allowing a lot more than 45 minutes.

Pretty sure Det's transporting his AI Chris. Forecasting < 3 knots of wind around 0800. You'd want good legs and turbo fins otherwise I reckon :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Oh, I get it. He lives at Balmain and he's driving to Clontarf. OK, so I'm a bit slow on the uptake. No-one's perfect. :oops:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Det and I met up this morning and launched from Clontaf about 0930. Had a sensational day. Made our way up to Sugarloaf Bay with a flood tide and stopped off for lunch. Not much in the way of beaches up there so we anchored and rafted up at the end of one of the bays while we ate. Anchor turned out to be a good investment.

Wind picked up for our return trip and we sailed down to Balmoral then into the "washing machine" of Middle harbour. Lots of yacht racing going on and an interesting swell rolling in from between the heads. Paid a quick visit to Reef beach for afternoon tea then on to the Quarantine Station on North head. Getting a bit late by this time so did a run back to Clontaf. Just under 8 hours all up. Will post some pics and video soon.

Oh, and Bob's spray shield design got a bit of a work out in the "washing machine". Worked a treat and that's before I secure the inside edge near the front hatch.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The designated nude beaches are great if you want to look at a lot of naked male perverts.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

skymax wrote:
The designated nude beaches are great if you want to look at a lot of naked male perverts.

We kept away from them. Reef Beach hasn't been a nude beach for many years.

In fact we spent 30 minutes chatting about AI's to a rather pretty bikini clad girl. Just goes to prove the yeallow AI's attract the chicks... :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Dave, thanks for the company and a great day on middle/North Harbour. I'll publish pics and track on Monday.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Our track on Saturday 5 Dec:

and the track profile:

Distance traveled: 19.5 NM
Max Speed: 7.5 knots
Distance made good: 0 NM (ended up where we started)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Not a bad effort for a day's easy sail. Bit of wind makes a difference.

The wrecks we looked at in Salt Pan Creek are the AB431 COBAKI (sunk by vandels 1942) and ITATA (caught fire 1906 and later towed to Sydney and abandoned)

More details here -

http://www.marinewatchnsw.com/library/history.html

I'll put the side scan images up tonight.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sounds like a big day fellas. If I'd have gone, I reckon I would have had to have a sleep before hitt'n the highway. The GPS printouts are very impressive. Another item for my Christmas stocking. So how was the launch site etc. Was it a good spot ie: easy to get to etc ?

Looking forward to seing the photos.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next