Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Using beach wheels solo
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello there,

I would like to know if one person alone can put (rigged) a wave on beach wheels and move it without too much difficulty.

Many thanks

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sure! Some will say to lift the sterns, but I lift the bows by the bridle junction. Either way, lift one end of the boat and kick the middle of the axle under it, till the wheels are under the chain plates (shroud connectors). Then tie the beech wheels' rope around each chain plate, using a simple over-hand knot. Lift the rear cross-bar and away you go!

The boat only weighs 245 lbs, and balances pretty well on the chain plate point. The only tricky part is getting the wheels to stay in place while you tie the rope, that may take some practice solo.

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Is that with the mast up?

Also I see there are two types of wheels, the cat trax and blue trax. Is there much difference between them? Any preferences?

Thanks again

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Whats the proper way to use the beach wheels? Do I tie them to the front pylons on the hobie 16?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Keven: Someone else will have to tell you about the H16, but I think the chain-plates are the balance points on most Hobies.

Jimlad: As for types of wheels, generally the hard plastic (blue) wheels are good for sand only. If you're moving around on rocks or pavement, you'll want the inflatible rubber wheels. If you don't have far to go, PVC pipes can be a cheap alternative; that's what I use just to get my boat up on the shore.

You can move the boats around mast-up, but ALWAYS be sure to watch for overhead power lines or branches! And conditions will dictate whether you can move them sails-up. You don't want to capsize on the wheels, that could cause a lot of damage!

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

Last edited by IndyWave on Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Cradles are an optional extra. Are they necessary when using wheels with a hobie wave?

Indy you have been a great help, much appreciated.

Any recommendations for a hobie dealer in the Miami area?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Cradles are important for fragile boats, but the Wave is sturdy and forgiving. Some people wouldn't use wheels without them, but I think they're overkill with a Wave. Getting them oriented correctly adds complication, but if you're going over rough terrain, they may be worth it.

Check the website for dealers in your area. Hobie is pretty picky, so they all should be good.

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The hard plastic wheels work OK on sand??? My experience has been the exact opposite. Inflatible wheels are the only way to go on sand. The hard wheels only work on hard surfaces. The problem is that the hard wheels dig down and tend to push the sand out of the way. Inflatibles have a larger footprint and will float over the sand. (Note that I'm basing this info on experience using wheels on the larger, heavier boats. A Wave might be light enough that solid plastic wheels work OK on sand).

You don't need cradles for the wave, but they will make it easier to install the wheels solo. A straight axle will tend to want to roll out from under the boat until you get the wheels tied. The cradled axle will stay put (on hard surfaces, you often don't even need to tie the boat to the wheels).

sm

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Jimlad,

I use a set of Cat Trax on my wave and 99.9% of the time I'm doing it solo. The standard Cat Trax has an aluminum axle with a black rubber sleeve where the hulls contact it and the sleeve acts like a roller. Makes it real easy to roll the wheels under the boat, but difficult to keep the boat centered and squared on the axle. I lift up the bows and push the wheel under.

I was considering getting cradles to keep the boat positioned on the wheels, but wondered if the cradles would make it harder to load the boat. While I was trying to make up my mind about spending the $ on the cradles, I came up with a solution that works for me. I have a third line coming from the middle of the axle to the rear cross member, I then pass it through the cleat for my traveler. This 3rd line keeps the boat in place and I have no problem moving it around by myself.

One other hint is to get the boat in place and mark the lines where they meet your tie-off points (I use the side stays). This way when loading the boat all you have to do is line up the marks, tie off the lines and push the wheels under the boat.

Charlie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A lot of the thing about beach wheels depends on where you have to launch.

Pushing the boat around on beach wheels can be done solo. Takes some muscle but when balanced, as was said, not too much a problem. Unless you have to climb hills!

Yes, balloon tires do sand; the plastic tires do harder, rockier surfaces.

Don't like the pressure that the trax ropes put on the shroud attachment hull fittings and am getting the hull cradles for the trax.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

JJ,

Which hull cradles are you getting? I see ones offered by from Cat Trax, Murry's and Hobie. They look like they would be for round bottom hulls, and wonder how the Wave would sit in them. Also considered making my own, but haven't gotten past just thinking about it.

Charlie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

From Matt:
Quote:
Use the generic cradles # 1624 "all others". These fit a cat trax axel. You still need to tie off at the chain plate for balance.

J, did you get my email!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Quote:
did you get my email!

JJ, if you sent me an email I never received it.

Charlie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sorry for being confusing.

"J" is Jeremy at Surf City in "J, did you get my email."

I be begging parts from him again. Like those cradles. And late in ordering them too...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The beach dolly I am using is made with two crossbars with a hard rubber slide area on each. It is made by "Seitech" It works great and is easier to load than the single axle dolly.

http://www.laserperformance.com/main/im ... ochure.pdf

See number 15 on page three