Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

After sailing in company with Cowsgomoo last Saturday, I'm hanging out to sail in company again.

Anyone interested in a jolly around Sydney Harbour - perhaps sticking the bow outside of the heads?

Launch site: Woollarha Sailing Club ramp
Car park nearby and plenty of space to rig up on the grass.

Float Time: 10:00am
Return Time: To be determined by group on arrival.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If I didn't have to go to a BBQ I'd be there in a flash. Got the run up to Christmas holidays to sort out too.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Had a great solo sail on Saturday.

Headed out from Woolahra Sailing Club ramp at 11:00am into a 5-10 kt NEster which soon became 10-15kt. Tacked out to the heads and stuck my nose outside (about 1NM). Winds remained relatively constant and had some fun reaching to the SE into a short 1M swell on the port beam.

At 12:30 it was time to head back. I was about 1M out with the Centre Point tower lined up with the middle of The Gap. The broad reach running with the swell on the way back through the Heads proved great fun and a couple of Ya-Hoo runs down the larger sets made my day. After rounding South Head I fell into a lull and met up with a group of kayakers who were returning to Watsons Bay from their morning trip to Shelly Beach. After making them all envious of the AI's sailing ability I dropped into Watson's Bay for a dose of fish and chips from Doyles.

Watson's Bay was completely sheltered from the NEster and I didn't pick up the wind again until 1/2 M off the beach. Then it was great with 10-15 kts pushing me to Bradley's Head. From Bradley's Head the wind picked up, gusting to 20 kts and I got my best reaching experience yet, taking only 15 minutes from Bradleys Head to the moorings on the south side of Rose Bay - inundated in spray all the way.

Biggest regret was not having the GPS with me, on this my first trip outside and no record of what felt like my fastest speed yet - felt like at least 10 kts.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Have just taken delivery of my AI and would like to join you next time in the Harbour - live in Greenwich at the other end of the harbour but happy to sail up the silvertail end.

best, Andrew

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

okz00k wrote:

Headed out from Woolahra Sailing Club ramp at 11:00am into a 5-10 kt NEster which soon became 10-15kt. Tacked out to the heads and stuck my nose outside (about 1NM). Winds remained relatively constant and had some fun reaching to the SE into a short 1M swell on the port beam.

At 12:30 it was time to head back. I was about 1M out with the Centre Point tower lined up with the middle of The Gap. The broad reach running with the swell on the way back through the Heads proved great fun and a couple of Ya-Hoo runs down the larger sets made my day. After rounding South Head I fell into a lull and met up with a group of kayakers who were returning to Watsons Bay from their morning trip to Shelly Beach. After making them all envious of the AI's sailing ability I dropped into Watson's Bay for a dose of fish and chips from Doyles.

Watson's Bay was completely sheltered from the NEster and I didn't pick up the wind again until 1/2 M off the beach. Then it was great with 10-15 kts pushing me to Bradley's Head. From Bradley's Head the wind picked up, gusting to 20 kts and I got my best reaching experience yet, taking only 15 minutes from Bradleys Head to the moorings on the south side of Rose Bay - inundated in spray all the way.

Biggest regret was not having the GPS with me, on this my first trip outside and no record of what felt like my fastest speed yet - felt like at least 10 kts.

Sounds like a good day out. When I get back from Victoria we'll have to do another trip.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

arathorn357 wrote:
Have just taken delivery of my AI and would like to join you next time in the Harbour - live in Greenwich at the other end of the harbour but happy to sail up the silvertail end.

best, Andrew

Ahhh, our numbers grow :)
Look forward to catching up for a sail sometime.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Cowsgomoo wrote:
okz00k wrote:

Sounds like a good day out. When I get back from Victoria we'll have to do another trip.

Hey Cows - Where in Vic are you?? Hope you brought your AI with you :wink:

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mickeymouse wrote:

I'll be heading to Shallow Inlet near Wilsons Prom. Should be there Christmas Day.
And I'll certainly have the AI there.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Cowsgomoo wrote:
mickeymouse wrote:

I'll be heading to Shallow Inlet near Wilsons Prom. Should be there Christmas Day.
And I'll certainly have the AI there.

Looks like a great spot to use it :) I haven't ventured there yet but would be interested in hearing what you have to say about it.
I will be next door with our neighbours on Xmas day and expect to be out on our lakes for a few days afterwards.
If you happen to be passing through (Lakes Entrance - Bairnsdale) it's a great spot for the AI as well.
If you're caravanning or similar, I have plenty of room and power & water etc.

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Been going there for many years. Used to sail my little Mirror there many moons ago. Been a bit sad going there the last few years without a boat.

They do sailboard speed records down at Sandy Point with the good strong breeze off the ocean and flat water in the inlet.

Going to try a bit of fishing too.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi,
Looking for an AI sailing partner in Sydney?
I'm in Bronte. I have some great days out around Hunters Hill, The Spit, Vaucluse, Hacking River and Batemans Bay.

Going out to the Heads would be good but I didn't want to do it solo in case something broke.

cheers,
Dnald

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi,
Looking for an AI sailing partner in Sydney?
I'm in Bronte. I have some great days out around Hunters Hill, The Spit, Vaucluse, Hacking River and Batemans Bay.

Going out to the Heads would be good but I didn't want to do it solo in case something broke.

cheers,
Donald