Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Cameras
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My Olympus 720--almost the granddaddy of this genre--has been dropped in sand, dropped through the mirage drive hole in water and left there while loading, taken underwater pictures occasionally, and splashed on all the time--real saltwater. The Pentax cameras are also supposed to be very tough. I assume if someone buys a waterproof case, they intend to take it under water, on purpose or accidentally. So, I was just stating the obvious--any fowl-up of the seal is disaster. I've ruined one GPS that way. The Olympus, Pentax, and Canon D10 are cameras that you do not have too worry, they have proven toughness and useability. That is all I was saying. They do what they are supposed to do. All of the high end, waterproof cameras can now handle immersion to 33', apparently.

OBee, you are really giving your Aquapac bags a workout! Have you found anything better?

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The seams near the opening always crack after prolong usage. I keep my car key in it.

I'm so given up I'm considering laminating the entire key.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:54 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

I use an old Pentex Optio W-10 pocket sized waterproof. It has taken virtually all the hundreds of pics I've posted on the forum over the past few years. To date, the counter reads 16,936 pics -- original battery. It, along with the GPS (Garmin Forerunner 305 wrist model) are standard equipment on all kayaking outings.

It has taken pics above and below the water line, in salt and fresh water, and capsized with me a couple of times. I expected it to leak or break long ago and bought a newer one as a back up, but the old one just keeps on working. No doubt the newer cameras are much better, and this one has its limitations, especially with regard to screen visibility and low light conditions. But it has definitely been worth it's investment many times over.

I'm just waiting for it to die so I can use the newer, bigger brighter screen, stabilized, higher zoom model!

I think all three brands of these little waterproof cameras are good -- reasonably priced, easy to carry and durable. Regardless of which you choose, they make a great accessory! 8)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

One of the reasons I went for the Panasonic is the 'Made in Japan' logo. After a few bad experiences, I made a stand that I wouldn't buy Chinese and due to price, sometimes it's a big temptation. But we all know that Chinese goods are generally inferior and for me it's too big a gamble to outlay $100's for rubbish. I hope for our sake that your Panasonic problem is a 'one off' but that you have some joy with getting reimbursed.

After a salt water photoshoot, does everyone soak theirs in fresh water as per the instructions ? Also, as per the instructions, the seals should be replaced once a year.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yeah - if you find one that doesn't say made in China let me know. I tried to buy an Australian made shirt the other day and ended up giving up.

Have heard back from Panasonic (actually the dealer) and the damage to the camera is corrosion. Whenever I use the camera I wash it at the boat ramp then bring it home and immerse it for 10 minutes in fresh water then rinse it in freshwater and then dry and let it stand on a lint free cloth to drain out any excess. This is waht the instructions require. Apparently it is evident from the camera that I have been doing that but not well enough as some water sat on the camera (even after the rinsing etc which I know I never missed and which I'll swear led to a dry camera) and that was enough to corrode the aluminium body.

Panasonic is replacing the rusted area. Credit where credit is due I think this is because Keith Bentley from Bentley's Camera House took up the issue with them.

There are also issues with getting all the seals shut (although I haven't had these to date) so I suppose that I'll have to explore the aquapac a bit more. I use a screw in camera stand and I'm not sure how that works with an aquapac.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:37 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

having worked in an electronics store for years and seeing my fair share of crappy cameras i would recomend any of the olympus waterproof cameras, there build quality was the best and probably still is.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I do "soak" my Oly 720 sw in fresh water after each salt water use. There is no visible corrosion.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon