Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:34 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

cheers guys i will get a stainless steel bolt without thread all the way and a couple of washers to stop to much rubbing.

Now i'm trying to build a hoist for my hobie and i don't want to keep the kayak the right way up. I was thinking i might use a heavy duty tarpaulin as a sling so the weight is evenly distributed has anyone tried this. i'm not sure how much weight they are designed to take i might contact some of the companies that make them to see if they can support the weight. Otherwise i might try bobs idea with the pool noodles.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:49 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Another question you guys could help me with, my girfriends dad got his Ai a few months ago and there was some trouble with the fins. For some reason i got turbo fins on mine and he only got standard ones(that were actualy faulty) does anyone know how long Turbo fins have come standard with the Ai's? We would like to complain and get upgraded if possible!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

They first became standard on the 2010 model.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

ChaosDave wrote:

cheers guys i will get a stainless steel bolt without thread all the way and a couple of washers to stop to much rubbing.

Now i'm trying to build a hoist for my hobie and i don't want to keep the kayak the right way up. I was thinking i might use a heavy duty tarpaulin as a sling so the weight is evenly distributed has anyone tried this. i'm not sure how much weight they are designed to take i might contact some of the companies that make them to see if they can support the weight. Otherwise i might try bobs idea with the pool noodles.

Hi Dave,

I rigged up a hoist system (motorized, even) to store my boats up in the rafters of my garage. The lifting is done using 1/8 inch steel cable, with a loop & a D-ring at the lifting end. The cable doesn't go around the boats! The boats are suspended by 2 inch wide nylon hoisting slings that I picked up at a Harbor Freight hardware store.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=44847

Same place I got the hoist, as well.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=40765

The one pictured is a 440 lb hoist, while mine is only a 220 lb unit. Looks like they don't stock the lighter one any more.

I suspend the boats upside down, with the slings positioned immediately in front of the forward crossbar, and immediately behind the aft crossbar. This works great for storing, and I can roll the boat in the sling to put it right side up if I want to bring it down to work on it. I also have some smaller velcro straps that I use to lash the amas to the D-rings so they rest on top of the boats when they are hoisted to storage position.

I don't have the boats stored for the winter yet, as we're still using them (see my thread about the 2nd Annual New Years Day Adventure Island Polar Bear Sail). I'll probably be storing them in the next couple weeks though, since this winter looks like it's going to be a snowy one. Won't get too much sailing done when the snow is deep. I'll try take a few photos of the rig when I bring the boats in. In case you're wondering, no, I do not have that much overhead clearance that I have the hoist above the boats when they're stored. The hoist is actually mounted on the wall near ground level, with cables run up the wall and through pulleys to the lifting points overhead. I have it configured such that I can use the same hoist to lift either of the two boats. I wanted the motor because I have a bad shoulder, and I figured I wouldn't always have someone around to assist And with the motorized hoist, I can stop the lift at any point if I need to reposition or work on something. A bonus is that, as you might well imagine, having an overhead hoist, even a light duty one (220 lb single line pull), has come in pretty handy on a couple of occasions.

Let me know if you'd like additional information. I may still have the diagrams I drew up when I was designing the thing.

Happy Sailing,
- Jim L

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That is a great storage system, Bob. Thanks for the pictures and discussion.

Good hoist system, Jim.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

Last edited by Chekika on Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:40 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

cheers Jim, i have actually already rigged up the hoist which is actually very similar to the one you described. but i use a manual 3:1 winch. i ended up going with the pool noodles, but unfortunately they added a few centimetres so now it doesn't clear my car, so i'm gonna have to figure out how to raise it higher.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Dave you might end up better off towing a small trailer for the A1, i am sure you have considered it but it might be worth thinking about it again , it may make life a bit easier depending on your situaton and you casn put plenty of gear on the floor of the trailer in lockable boxes.

Might see you sailing around Rotto some time,,myself and another chap on the W.A yak forums are going to give it a go sometime,cheers,,

Last edited by Shorty on Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ChaosDave wrote:
got my beautiful new red AI today and after bringing it home and taking off all the bubble wrap i found that one of my aka connector pins and the cord is missing :( I called my dealer and he said he will order me a new one ASAP and reckons i should just be able to use a nut and bolt for the moment, can anyone see a problem with this?

Hey Dave - sorry to hear you had a missing aka pin :shock:
In the meantime you could just use it as a yak - or better still add one ama and you've got a traditional islander outrigger configuration. :wink: It's great for paddling and peddling - can't say I've tried it this way with sail :roll:

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:49 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Shorty wrote:
Dave you might end up better off towing a small trailer for the A1, i am sure you have considered it but it might be worth thinking about it again , it may make life a bit easier depending on your situaton and you casn put plenty of gear on the floor of the trailer in lockable boxes.

Might see you sailing around Rotto some time,,myself and another chap on the W.A yak forums are going to give it a go sometime,cheers,,

well thats my ultimate goal, so let me know and i would love to tag along with you guys. I have yet to take my AI into the open water but thats what i bought it for!