Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Water in footwell
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all

Just picked up a mirage outback yesterday. My question is the water in the footwell is all the way up to the 2mph marker (so i guess I dont need to pedal :D ) I weigh about 280lbs which is alot but supposedly it has a capacity for 400 lbs I'm just wondering if this is normal, it is alot of water and if i was paddelling my feet would be always wet.

Thanks for any input

Post subject: To the 2 mph marker?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:00 am 
Site Admin

To the 2 mph marker? Really? 280 lbs and then gear? That does sound like a bit much, but the well is designed to have water in it. The idea is to have your feet lower that your butt when paddling. I have a Maui and it has about 1 inch or so at my heals, I am about 200 lbs. You can sometimes change the bouancy of a kayak by inflating it. You throw a black tarp over the boat in warm sun. Heat it up and inject air pressure. Maintain the pressure for a bit, then remove the tarp. Cool the boat with water and then finally remove the air pressure. Might make a difference if the boat is a little crushed or deformed.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

that seems much to do to a brand new boat isnt it?

and the load i was talking about was without any gear, so approximately 280 lbs net weight.

should i refer this issue to the dealer, just wasnt sure if that much water was normal to come in thru the drive unit and fill the entire footwell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey niko,
I weigh about 175 and probably have a couple of inches in the footwell of my Outback. It doesn't cause me any problems, so I have never thought much about it. Here is a pic of my footwell for comparison purposes. The blue arrows denote the water level.

One thing you may wish to consider is adding some flotation inside the hull. This is easily done by placing some foam pool noodles (mine came from Wal-Mart) inside the hull. I carry 8 in mine: 4 thru the forward hatch and 4 thru the after hatch. However, I don't carry any rods or other gear inside the hull so there is plenty or room for the noodles.

Here is a pic thru my after hatch. The line on top is a spare anchor/tow line that I sometimes carry also. I can't honestly say that the noodles make much difference, but they may, and it is an easy thing to do, so why not? Who knows-if I get plowed into by a CPB (i.e., a crazed power boater/jet skier), I may be glad to have had some extra flotation inside the hull (assuming I survive the experience)!

Post subject: 2 mph mark?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:50 am 
Site Admin

How much water in the heal areas? I just reviewed where the level would be when water is at the 2 mph mark. I am told that the speedo was calibrated to the Mirage Classic. It sits lower in the Outback, so at the 2 mph mark there should be similar water in the heal areas as is shown in the above post. That is normal for a person with weight of about 200.

Is there much more than that?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the great responses

I would say it is approximately 1"-1.5" above the level that is marked in blue.

I live in the NE so my days are dwindling to get out just to take some pics and post.

Post subject: Water
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:39 am 
Site Admin

That does sound rather deep. Pictures would be great, but I would suggest having a dealer take a look at it to be sure there is not some problem with the hull.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah Matt, but if I added 100 lbs more weight to my OB, I would certainly expect it to settle into the water at least another 1-2 inches also, wouldn't you?

My scrawny brother-in-law's weight (135 lbs) was not sufficient to put the OB down far enough so that the sponsons were in actual contact with the water, so the boat seemed pretty tippy to him. My weight (175 lbs), on the other hand, brought the boat down another 1-2 inches so the sponsons were in pretty much continual contact with the water surface, so it did not seem that tippy to me. Thus the reason for my advice to folks his size to get the Sport rather than the OB--in fact that's the very reason I got my wife a Sport.

Personally, I don't see any problem with niko's boat unless he finds a gallon or two of water inside the hull itself (not just the footwell)--then he MIGHT have a problem. Just my $.02 worth.

Post subject: Thanks!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:47 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for the feedback Apalach.

Bouyancy is displacement. Salt water is displaced at 64 lbs per square foot (I think), so the hull would be forced down another 2 square feet of over-all displacement to support the additional weight. Makes some sense. Just not sure how much water that looks like in the cockpit. Any other heavy guys want to chime in?

What we do know is that the rails of the Outback are very thick. Once they contact the water the displacement is increased rapidly and the amount of weight it can support is increased. I would not expect the water level to increase in the well as much with another 100 plus pounds of gear added after this.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

When I checked the hull, maybe 2 cup fulls of water

I felt tippy in it anyway, but it was my first time in any kayak, so that has to be factored in.

I went out and checked it again, the water level was definitely at the 2 mph marker.

I'm wondering if i added any more weight how it it would move up, going on the theory that the sponsons make contact it maxes the buoyancy and water level in the footwell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have an Outback and weigh 300 lbs. Adding an anchor, milk crate, two poles, tackle box, first aide bag, water, food, etc., I draw water to the area just below the platform where you store your tackle box between you legs. That’s the price of being a fuller figured male. :lol:

When I rest my feet in the well off the peddles, they get wet. I usually wear thick soled divers booties so they don’t get cold.