Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First Trip with the SC
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:01 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well I made my first trip to Catalina over the new year. I left from San Pedro on new years eve and went to Two Harbors. On Saturday I left Two Harbors for Dana Point. Everything went pretty well. Coming back was really boring since there was basically no wind all day (except for about an hour) we had to motor with my little Honda 2hp almost 50 nautical miles. Overall, it was a cool experience, since i am new to sailing it was my first real adventure pretty far off shore. I hope to do more exciting trips like this with the Hobie 21Sc.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This looks really cool! I just picked my a 21sc a few days ago... bought it in Modesto and trailered down to Dana Point... plan on taking some trips like this! You from Dana Point? I'm going to take boat down to the harbor tomorrow (Thursday) to rig for first time and maybe sail if boat goes together okay... Definately let me know when you plan another trip and maybe we can make it a flotilla!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Its great to know there is another 21SC in the area. I keep my boat stored in dry storage at Dana Point. we will have to go sail sometime.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey!
I've got my 21sc all rigged and ready just down the lot from you in Dana Point...
2 questions:
Over at Two Harbors, did you need a "beaching" permit?
And, what is that extra bridle that goes from forward tangs back to mast? Mine is in my "extra parts" bin, but can't think of it's purpose...
-Jimbo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:28 pm 
Site Admin

The boat originally came with an anchor bridle wire. That's it I think.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yeah, I saw your boat at the Embarcadero the other day!

I didn't get a permit for two harbors, I don't think you would need one but i am not sure. I beached it south of the main entrance; where the campground is. Bring beach track slides or it will be really difficult to get the boat above the water line. I did not have any and it was a pain in the butt.

My boat didn't come with an anchor bridle, so i made one. I made it long enough so I could connect a bungee from the mast (I stuck it in the hole where the mast gin pole goes) to the end of the bridle. I did that so the jib sheet does not get caught around the base of the mast. I could have just connected the bungee to the cat cabin to prevent the jib sheet from getting stuck, but i decided to do that instead.

If you need any help with anything on your boat let me know. It has taken awhile but I am getting pretty familiar with the boat now.