Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wave purchase?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I had the opportunity to sail the Wave for a few days while in Jamaica. We had a blast. I currently have a Sunfish. We live across the street from a inland lake in SE Michigan. The lake is @ one mile by 3/4 mile in dimension. I would like to get a Wave but am wondering if this lake is somewhat small for a cat? Any thoughts or suggestions?

Michael

Post subject: Re: Wave purchase?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I say go for it!

As long as you've got wind, you'll have fun on the Wave. Since it's a small cat, it turns quickly and takes off quickly; so on a small lake, you'll just get to do that more often. And on days when there's no wind, it makes a great swim platform, or floating picnic table. Plus you can take more friends along than you can on a Sunfish.

My lake is not a whole lot bigger than that, maybe two miles sailable in an S-shaped reservoir, and we have a very active sailing club. What gets me is when the cigarette boats go roaring by... then 30 seconds later roar by the other way. That's got to be like swimming in a bath tub!

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The lake I normally sail on is 1 mi by 1/2 mile over all, Since its basically flat land all around it, not much to block the wind. It was blowing about 15 mph today and I was out for about 3 hours. I think you'll do just fine on the lake you described.

Unlike the lake Indy sails on, gasoline motors aren't allowed on mine, so all I run into are a few boats with electric trolling motors and kayaks. On a good day, I'm the one buzzing them.

Charlie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I sold a Sunfish last summer as I purchased a used Wave also. No regrets. It came with the backrests and the jib option. I tried the jib once and my thought is the jib just is not worth the hassle. The backrests are great!

The boat sails great with a slight breeze and is a blast when the wind really kicks up. The lake I sail on is rather large. I think it's 18 miles long and maybe 1/2 of a mile wide where I sail. And yes, power boats can slow the boat down depending on how close they pass by leaving their wake for you to deal with. But I sometimes experience this on my H18 cat as well.

I don't think you will regret the Wave. Plus, depending on the wind, people size and weight, the Wave can handle more than one which I know can be an issue on the Sunfish.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Good question re: matching sailboat to lake size.

The most frequent/convenient lake I sail is about the size of yours. While I'd love having a larger lake - it is close and I often sail several times a week, after work, whenever the wind picks up. You can have a lot of fun when the wind is at 90 degrees to the 1 mile length.. those are decent runs, when its not, you'll get lots of practice tacking. Either way - at least you are out sailing!

I've had a Bravo, Wave, AI's, and a H16. I never used the H16 on the small lake - way too much boat. The Bravo was a LOT of fun, but in my mind - a one person boat. If you are going to sail alone most of time- you might think about the Bravo. It seemed to be more responsive in light winds and well suited to the smaller lake. I sold it and got a Wave - which on larger lakes I really appreciate, and when I take the wife, dog, buddy, whatever.

Either way - get a boat - to have a lake across the street, and not go sailing seems criminal.