Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

i sail (original) lasers, thistles, and sunfish in a 9x1 mile lake, winds ranging from 1-25 mph

i was wondering
a. whether a bravo would be optimal for this lake
b. is the bravo more of a challenge then a laser
c. whether the bravo would be easy to get in and out of the water with a trailer (my club has limited shore area)
d. how much these go for
e. do these go faster than lasers (original lasers)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I haven't sailed a Bravo, but I did own an H16 and launched it solo from a trailer for a few years. So, I would guess the Brave would be able to do the same.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:34 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

From your description, it sounds like one of the finger lakes - Owasco?

The Bravo is a much simpler boat than a Laser or even a Sunfish. It's boomless, so you don't have to worry about cracking your head in a tack or jibe, plus you can pull on one line and the sail rolls up on the mast. It's a pretty cool feature.

The Bravo is probably not as fast as a Laser - especially when it's planing conditions. It has a completely different hull shape.

You should call Rob Jerry or Barb Caster at Boatworks in Syracuse. I'm sure they could set you up with a test sail. Hobie Fleet 204 is based in Syracuse - they are probably the most active bunch of Hobie sailors in the US. They are a great bunch to get hooked up with. They primarily sail Hobie 16's and Tigers, but they'd be willing to help.

As a matter of fact, I'm headed out the door right now to go sailing with them tomorrow on Canandaigua Lake. It'll only take me 6+ hours to get there. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the advice ill definately call for a test sail, btw my lake is otsego, dunno if you've heard of it though, infact tomorrow is otsego lake's 15 minutes of fame for the year, we're hosting the Glimmerglass Regatta this weekend.

my club is so hobie-deprived, we have 1 hobie cat in a club of almost 200 members.

P.S. do you think that i could handle the hobie cat wave by myself? im 130lbs, 5' 8", and ive got 6 years sailing experience with lasers, sunfish, and thistles

Post subject: Bravo / Wave
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:55 pm 
Site Admin

dagel wrote:
do you think that i could handle the hobie cat wave by myself? im 130lbs, 5' 8", and ive got 6 years sailing experience with lasers, sunfish, and thistles

No problem... actually, I think the Wave is easier to sail that the Bravo. Wider and more stable. Faster too!

Way easier to sail than a Laser, Sunfish or Thistle.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: whats a 14 good for?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have had the privilege of watching a bravo sail on a large river in winds of 20-25 knots and sailing one in the sound closer to my home in much lighter winds. in the heavy wind the bravo looked to be quick but not fast i was sailing my sidewinder at the time which is slightly slower than a laser and i was sailing circles around the bravo. when i sailed the bravo i was supprised at how responsive the single rudder was and at how easily the boat handled without a boom or jib, however i would compare the bravo to a sunfish rather than a laser or a hobie 16. as for launching the bravo there is no reason one person could not put it on the trailer alone as the rotomolded boat is extrememly light. on a small lake like u are talking about i think a bravo would be a better fit than a 16 that needs more water to be fun. good luck and have fun