Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Speed records
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

20.3 knots at the ditch run last year.

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/f-185150sailing/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:25 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

We sailed the 21SE two weekends ago in 15-25 mph winds. Both GPS units tracked our maximum speed at 23.5 and 23.6 mph. We went 27 miles at an average of 15.8 mph. Funny thing was, we were in survival mode the whole time and we were scared to trim the sails.. :shock: ...I know if I was experience we could have gone much faster. Since my GPS, Garmin 72, was a new Christmas present, I have not figured out how to download the tracks and information from the unit to a computer and/or map yet. It is always fun to see the tracks from a few windsurfing buddies who complete distance races. Once I figure it out how I will post. It would be great to see others tracks and trip information. If anyone knows how to dowload the tracks, please let me know.....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a Garmin 60CSx that works great. (Basically it's waterproof so far) I went a step further and bought Garmin's MapSource Blue Chart software that shows detailed charts with depth, structures, rocks, coral heads, boat ramps, navigational marks, buoys, sunken ships, etc. I bought the Blue Chart mostly because I dive the Florida Keys and Bahamas and I prefer to dodge the rocks and coral heads. Anyway, when you use Blue Chart, you can look at a particular point on your track on the chart you're on, click it, and another small screen will popup on your chart that shows the point on the chart as well as the suceeding and preceeding points on either side of the subject point. You can scroll to all other points on a track run. The small chart identifies your position, time, speed and direction. Blue Chart is a bit pricey but you will not regret it if you get on the water often. Disclaimer: I own a little Garmin stock that I should have sold 2 years ago.

I don't think Blue Chart is the only software that you can see your tracks on and the individual points on your track. I think some standard MapSource software will also work, if I remember correctly. Blue Chart is pretty awesome on the water but useless in a car.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Whatever.....I got my Wave going FIVE MILES AN HOUR!!! (censored) yea!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The new boat in 15-20 wind we were consistantly going upwind at about 10-12kts. Downwind we were seeing 14-16kts, and held a bit at 18kts. That was off the Velocitek.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

With the fringes of hurricane Irene providing some wonderful wind, two of us trapping on my 16 recorded 22.3mph on the gps. It was the most thrilling sailing I've ever done and a day I'll never forget!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:24 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I got a max speed of 18.9 MPH on my H18 on the lake a few weeks ago. This was not even close to my fastest day but only the second time using the GPS. I am looking forward to recording some faster max speeds in the future. If you start a recoding track with the GPS it will record your max speed.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

19.6 MPH last week on my H17 with Pentex main (max speed and it probably lasted 1 second).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I agree, I took the Hobie out during the start of Irene this past Thursday, with an employee of mine that has NEVER been sailing, but he is an adrenaline junkie, So he and I hiked out during these insane gusts on a Flat lake in Eustis, Fl. we were seriously KILLIN' IT. (GPS was pulling high teens up to 22mph) and a few 25mph gusts came through as we were flying a hull and BOOM we caught a 40mph gust (I saw it coming, but was not fast enough to pull the fuse) PITCHPOLED it HEAVY!!!! Bascially cartwheeled it through the water as the wind grabbed the main before I could pull the fuse, and basically flung our asses through the air and it was like an explosion when we and the boat came to rest... ( I though FOR SURE the boat was toast.... The funny part of the story, is that the guy that was with me unhooked, and swam around the the hull to help right the boat... He looked at me, put his finger up and proceeded to vomit into the water with a big grin on his face.... I was laughing so hard I fell into the water and promplty ened up in his puke (insert head hitting wall icon here)

I got back on the hull, and asked him if he was alright,,, He said that HE IS HOOKED ON SAILING!!!!! Most fun he has had in a long time.... He "claimed" he threw up because (in is own words) " Honestly, ASSHOLE,,,,, You just scared the (censored) out of me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let's do it again!!! " GREAT DAY ON THE WATER!!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My top recorded speed soloing my H17Sport (w/squaretop) is 22.6 knots (26.0 mph) recorded on my Velocitek Sc-1. It was a great day with a building wind so the water was still relatively flat. I frequently get into the mid-teens, occasionally into the high teens, and a couple other times over 20 knots. :o

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

THat is insane......

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I just went through these posts, I was quite proud of me with 15 kts on my Hobie Cat 14T but it seems I can still progress....
The funny thing is that I had more fun at this speed on the water than at 140 mph on my Audi (german autobahns...) and there is way less risks involved !
Nicolas

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:12 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

At the Sausalito Regatta here in Div three we had a wild weekend. I was on my buddies H21SE and our GPS recorded a top speed of 32.2 MPH, winds were gusting to 38MPH. It was crazy windy that day and we were in full blown survival mode. We had an awesome race committee that did a stellar job. We were lucky and went in early, other people had some major issues, demasting, boat sailing away with out crew ect ect. Image

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Holy smoke! 32.8MPH.
That is insane speeds. Love it. what sails did you have up?
we went sailing round the estuary in a strong Force 5 gusting 6.
Approximately 28knots true around the bay straight across the marshes came the 29-33knot gusts.
Our 21se reached 20.6mph on Garmin gps triple trapeze and me driving. On a fetch. Clocked up 38.8 miles in 2 hours.
It was the long distance race from our local yacht club and a large fleet of catamarans turned up. We didn't race as this is the bay we usually sail anyway. It was however a fantastic sight to see 50 fast cats with good sailors flat out upwind. amazing sight. not sure they were catching us over the water but we stopped furled the jib and sat downwind whilst they came through the estuary. wind honking from the SW across the marshes. We watched the race with a beer, cracked off though the mid fleet with a large gap and dropped the surfboard a ski line off the back and one of the crew surfed across the bay for 5 miles at 19.1mph.
Incredible day, incredible boat.

Phat Cat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Solo on my H17Sport - 19.6 knots max speed and 16.9 knots best 10 sec average last Saturday at the Gap (Wallula Gap). The wind was blowing 10 - 20 with a few higher gusts. There were a few other sailboats and a couple windsurfers. Just enough to play boat tag with.

Boat Tag - where I see how fast I can go from boat to boat to boat.....etc.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next