Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pro Angler vs. Adventure
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am a bigger guy (6'-5", 240) so don't have much choice between kayaks with Hobie other than these two. I am a previous Adventure owner and am looking for input on the Pro Angler. I will be demoing it soon but would do know what others think of it for an all around kayak. I will be spending most of my time in the open ocean and with occasional small surf launches. Input from others that have also used the Adventure would be great but not necessary. Specifically, will this "boat" be efficient enough to keep up the Adventure and Revo's out there in calm to moderate weather conditions?

Thanks,
SF

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a friend almost exactly your size that has no problems with my PA and loves it. He is a camera operator when I am filming and keeps up with me in a revo, but we are not racing, just fishing.

I would be very surprised if you could keep up with the Adventure in anything but another Adventure. They are simply very different purpose yaks.

Good luck, Phill

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am 6'3" and 210 lbs. the PA is very roomy and comfortable for me. very stable too, never felt like I was in danger of capsizing or falling out of the PA. I never tried an Adventure but did try the Revo. we also bought an OB for my son, liked the OB over the Revo.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:04 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Agree that the Adventure is fast. It's 16 foot and sleek compared to the PA. It'll eat the PA in a race. For fishing it shouldn't matter unless you're running from spot to spot and that's not likely in a kayak. Fish the water you're in. Ive got the PA and wouldn't trade it for the Adventure but it's because my "arse" wouldn't fit an Adventure comfortably for fishing. I'd like to have an Adventure.. I'd use it for cruising and enjoying a ride, but I have a stable now. For fishing, I've really enjoyed the PA. Don't forget "DRY"....... swamp butt..... consider that also. The Adventure is a wetter ride by far.
You will get opinions from all directions and until you try them out, you just won't know. Good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

yakkingaway wrote:
Agree that the Adventure is fast. It's 16 foot and sleek compared to the PA. It'll eat the PA in a race. For fishing it shouldn't matter unless you're running from spot to spot and that's not likely in a kayak. Fish the water you're in. Ive got the PA and wouldn't trade it for the Adventure but it's because my "arse" wouldn't fit an Adventure comfortably for fishing. I'd like to have an Adventure.. I'd use it for cruising and enjoying a ride, but I have a stable now. For fishing, I've really enjoyed the PA. Don't forget "DRY"....... swamp butt..... consider that also. The Adventure is a wetter ride by far.
You will get opinions from all directions and until you try them out, you just won't know. Good luck.

x2 dry , comfortable , stable,, no swamp butt :) :) :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've owned the Adventure and it was a stable fishing machine, I also own the PA and it's in a class by itself. If your needs require a surf launch the PA will not work for you. It would be like launching a jon boat from the surf. The PA will meet and exceed all your expectations otherwise. IF you had room at home for storage ,both would be ideal.
The PA is a much drier ride, and much more stable. Your legs peddle down so there's much less fatigue...not that I was ever worn out peddling...some days were well over five hours straight. Good luck in your decision. :mrgreen: