Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Plastic rudder pins
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:57 pm 
I see a number of people here are having there rudder pins sheared under load. I Have a new IAT on order. I wonder if I have a plastic pin also. Using plastic on a rudder pin seems to me to be a bad idea. I think stainless steel is a much smarter option. Any chance Hobie will fix this ?
Max
Ive decided to stick with the factory pin...

Last edited by houston on Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Plastic rudder pins
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Max,

The plastic is supposed to give way first before something more expensive fails. However it seems that a run of pins may have had problems and caused a few of these failures that people are reporting.

Hobie addressed the problem with a new batch of pins that are colored grey rather than black.

Not sure what's on the TI as it has a bigger rudder. Think there was a close up picture posted not long ago.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:05 pm 
Site Admin

As noted above... the "pin issues" were addressed. The problem was a run of material that was less than spec called for. We corrected this last year for the AI by changing the material and the color to show what is a new pin. Yes, the pin is designed as a fail safe to protect the transom from (possibly unrepairable) damage.

The TI uses the newer grey nylon pin material. Not a problem in testing even with the larger rudder blade and severe failure testing.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The (black) rudder pin on the AI failed yesterday - fortunately in calmer water and I was able to put in a new pin by reefing the sail and reaching backwards. The scary part is that the pin broke 20 minutes after I'd spent 40 minutes traversing the cliff-lined southern shore of Schouten Island (Tasmania, Australia) coming as close as 200m upwind in around 20knots and lumpy 1.5 metre seas. If the pin had broken then I could not have fixed it in those conditions, would have ended up on the rocks and would not be writing this now! I did not set out to sail in these conditions, but one does not always have the choice, especially here in the path of the Roaring 40's!

In this regard the pins are certainly a safety issue.

So I've read the many posts on the pins from last year and wanted to check that the grey pins have solved the problem.

Many thanks!

Anyone else sailing AI's is Tas?

Rob

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:30 am 
Site Admin

First... You should ALWAYS carry your paddle. If a pin fails, you can steer with the paddle easily. If you have to, you reduce or completely furl the sail and pedal. There are many options available.

Next... get the new grey pin.

Thrid... yes the grey pins seem to have cured the "bad batch" issue we had and more, but remember, the pin is a safety feature and is designed to shear if the rudder is over stressed. We DO expect pins to shear still.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thankyou Matt. I'll practice with the paddle as rudder, steering by adjusting the sail and will pick up a supply of grey pins.

I would have been hard pressed to maintain peddling at the intensity required to move through those seas for a couple of hours to get past the rocks, and steering with paddle and sail would be very challenging in such conditions. The boat was fantastic otherwise.

Rob

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

And welcome to the forum. :)
I think the AI would have to be one of the safer craft to be out in. There are so many options to get around with.
Do you carry some small tools to help with things such as fitting rudder pins? Many carry a multitool or similar. Of course doing it at sea with a good swell is another matter.

Hopefully there's more people down there with AI's. I'm not sure where the Hobie dealers are down there but you might try leaving your details with them and they might help put you in touch with other owners.

And remember it didn't happen without pics :)

I found this one -
http://www.ultimedia.com.au/virtual/SchoutenIslandSummit/index.html

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:22 am 
Something that I do not understand. The rudder pin is admittedly made of too weak of a material. Sooo.... Why is it not replaced free by Hobie under the warranty
? Toyota has recalled all of its defective cars for sticking gas pedals. is this not the same thing ? If is designed to break to save a bigger part I think you need to make that stronger too. I have never had a rudder issue on any of my sail boats, or kayaks ever, and I sail in some very bad weather. Perhaps the whole rudder system needs to be redone so as to be up to the job it needs to do. Just thinking out loud.
Max.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:09 pm 
Site Admin

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=14216&p=78429&hilit=Rudder+pin#p78429

There was no consistant failure of the pins as noted in MANY threads and posts in the forums. We responded with a refinement of the materials / process anyway. The pin issue has been put to bed. Lets not re-hash old issues.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:32 pm 
Ok Matt, Consider it dropped. :D All this aside, I am anxiously waiting for our new Tandem boat. I think Im really going to like this one, even more then my Wind Rider 16's. :)
Max...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Rob wrote:
The (black) rudder pin on the AI failed yesterday - fortunately in calmer water and I was able to put in a new pin by reefing the sail and reaching backwards. The scary part is that the pin broke 20 minutes after I'd spent 40 minutes traversing the cliff-lined southern shore of Schouten Island (Tasmania, Australia) coming as close as 200m upwind in around 20knots and lumpy 1.5 metre seas. If the pin had broken then I could not have fixed it in those conditions, would have ended up on the rocks and would not be writing this now! I did not set out to sail in these conditions, but one does not always have the choice, especially here in the path of the Roaring 40's!

In this regard the pins are certainly a safety issue.

So I've read the many posts on the pins from last year and wanted to check that the grey pins have solved the problem.

Many thanks!

Anyone else sailing AI's is Tas?

Rob

Hey Rob. Welcome mate.

We all keep in touch via this forum to organise outing ( we call them Amardas ), and speaking on behalf of the blokes up this way who sail together, we would be keen to keep in touch with you for a possible get together down that way. I come from Kingston Beach originally and can't wait to get the AI down there later this year.
Looking forward to seing some shots from you of the homeland, especially around Freycinet. ( CowsGoMoo is the police chief on photos :lol: )

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

something tells me poor matt miller would be happy if he never heard another pin failure story :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:01 pm 
Site Admin

Have yet to hear of a grey on failing, so seem this has done the trick.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)