Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thinking about places to keep gear for overnight sailing trips, and got to looking at some of the larger Hobies with a tramp in front. Could the same thing be done with a 16? Ive got tons of canvas, nylon, cordura bolts from building Baidarkas, and Greenlands. I could easily sew a 2-3' wide tramp for the front of the boat, but how would it affect the boat itself? Just an idea to help haul my gear, all input wanted!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have attached a section of netting in that area on occasion just for small, light stuff - it works, but is a pain in the keister when sailing and the wind is up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have never done anything like that but i was thinking if you were to use something that is mesh as opposed to a solid tramp you will have less issues with the wind and with righting your 16. Just a thought

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:53 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hmm the 16 is kind of sensitive with the weight. Adding weight to the front might be difficult. If would pack your stuff on water tight bags you could store those on top of the hulls between the pylons and the tramp - not much space for a lot of stuff.

Patrick

Post subject: weight on bow of hobies
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I think it would be nice to be able to have some storage space in frontt of the forward crossbar but i think it would increase the difficulty in going downwind, espically in high wind or swells. when we sail trips with our hobies we not only cram 3-4 people on a sixteen but all of their personal items for four days. we usually just lash the stuff to the mast, the only problems we usually have are with the jib sheets getting around the mound of drybags, on the positive side they make a great lounging area for 2-3 people to work on their sunburns. it is also essential that your dry bags are closed securley, wet clothes make for a miserable three or four days. depending on what kind of sailing you are planning on doing this may be a more practical alternative.

Post subject: Cargo netting
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:47 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I took a cargo net used to cover a pick up truck bed, folded it in half, then used wire ties to make a pocket out of it. I stung it up under the front of my tramp. It goes the whole way across and is about 2 1/2' deep accessed from the front between the front rail and dalfin striker. I have it tied pretty tight and I can keep PFDs & harness when not in use, my water bottle, I use a caribiner to keep it close to center. It keeps the tramp clean and the weight under the mast. It works for me and cost $50.00 at pepboys.

Buxton