Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thanks!!!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Wow!!!

Nice looking sail, thanks for the photos.

I did make a test sail prior to seeing the photos...

I will need to go back to the walking foot machine for a few adjustments.

Thanks,

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:43 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

This isn't the best pic of my new "Banana Wind" boat graphics, but it'll have to do.

Post subject: Re: Hobie 21SC Jennaker
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Whirlwind sails sells a reacher for 650, could it be rigged up on a furler like the gennaker?
(I realize a gennaker and a reacher are different but I don't have the time to hunt one down or the $$$ to have one made)

I bought a used 16, re-glassed the hulls and went out with my father, he got the bug so we bought an 18. one thing led to another and we ended up on a 16 hr odyssey to pickup a 21sc. now after the addition of a Torqeedo, all new running rigging, and a trailer that hoists the mast and damn near launches the boat for you he's eager to get his hands on that last option...The gennaker. I've been tasked with coming up with the rig before christmass.

I've got;
- an extra 18furler/swivel.
-new cleatfor the mast as well as a halyard doodad to keep the line clear of the jib battens.

I need;
-the sail, obviously.
-to know the length of the forstay wire,and bridles.
-what cleats?
-where to put them?
-how much control line?
-does it run endless like the jib blocks?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

thank you,
jack

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:59 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

[Whirlwind sails sells a reacher for 650, could it be rigged up on a furler like the gennaker? Maybe, other boats have them, I guess it depends if they were made to be furled or not
(I realize a gennaker and a reacher are different but I don't have the time to hunt one down or the $$$ to have one made)

I bought a used 16, re-glassed the hulls and went out with my father, he got the bug so we bought an 18. one thing led to another and we ended up on a 16 hr odyssey to pickup a 21sc. now after the addition of a Torqeedo, all new running rigging, and a trailer that hoists the mast and damn near launches the boat for you he's eager to get his hands on that last option...The gennaker. I've been tasked with coming up with the rig before christmass.

I've got;
- an extra 18furler/swivel.
-new cleatfor the mast as well as a halyard doodad to keep the line clear of the jib battens.

I need;
-the sail, obviously.
-to know the length of the forstay wire,and bridles Forestay is built into the sail, bridles are from a H14...somewhere in one of my posts I listed the names and part numbers of the parts needed...I'll try to find it later.
-what cleats? need another camcleat
-where to put them? next to your jib clam cleat
-how much control line?55 feet
-does it run endless like the jib blocks? YES
Bridle p/n 10822010
Sheet block tangs p/n 20120000, Bow tangs p/n 30120001

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

thank you,
jack

Last edited by Rockets on Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you,
but when I refered to "cleats" I meant blocks (sorry still new to the lingo)
It apears as if they go on the rear of the boat, but where exactly?
(I'd really appreciate a photo on this one!!!!)

just bought the bridles,
I'll have my hands on the Control line this weekend

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:37 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I don't have my boat rigged for the Jennaker at the moment, and it's dark when I get home, so no pic's for now. however, I'll try to explain. You need to remove the outboard bolts from the rear cross bar and install a tang under the bolt head of each. Make sure you use plenty of anti-seize on the threads when you replace the bolts and do not over tighten. From the tangs you will use a small shackle to attach your cam cleat blocks. The other end of the block gets attached to the underside of your wings, by using a bungee cord and hook. You'll attach the cord to the top of the block by making a loop, secured w/ hog rings.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:49 pm 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

After a thorough amount of digging and research, I have been able to put together a full hardware and rigging kit for the Hobie 21SC roller gennaker including brand new, updated sail shape roller gennaker. Yes I am a Hobie dealer and yes these are all Hobie parts. The sail is even from the OEM supplier using the original measurements.

We happen to have 3 of the 21SC's in this area and all the owners I've talked to have expressed interest in getting the gennaker kit for their boats, so I put it together. If you are interested, email me: [email protected].

Best Regards,

Jay

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

While trying not to make this a personal endorsement, I am one of the 3 owners :D looking to order the newer generation Gennaker rig from KO Sailing here in LaPorte, TX (where I bought my 21SC). This is not a 'cheap' investment, but then again, anything that takes you and/or your family out in the ocean should not be 'cheap'! :wink:
Speaking to Jay this afternoon we may be able to get a better 'price' on these newer generation Gennaker sails by making a multi-purchase from EP Sails (original SC21 sail maker). I have searched and searched internet with help of TC, but there does not seem to be any out there ... probably hidden in a sail-loft with no id-tag or stored without being freshwater rinsed in a cluttered garage ...
So if you are 'sincerely' looking at investing in a Gennaker for your 21SC, I can endorse KO Sailing [email protected] as a good source as well as an opportunity we may make a multi-purchase deal :wink:
Spring is around the corner :D Time to rig up!!
franklin j VIOLA

www.violaphoto.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have the original Gennaker to my SC, but it's getting old and brittle. I've started to shop around for a new one and thought you might be interested in Whirlwind's answer to my question:

Q: "I am wondering if the reacher you sell for the Hobie 21 SC includes the luff wire for use in a furling setup as original on the boat?"

A: "The reacher is identical. We used to supply them to Hobie Cat before they discontinued the item."