Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I want a better cart, hauling a fully loaded AI down an uneven soft sandy path with the old-style Trax pneumatic and one wrong move and the top-heavy beast tips over, it would pull a lot more easily if the wheels were larger too.
Sometimes a wheel falls off even though it is properly clipped in, the side loads just overcome the tension on the Sirclip, sometimes this reams and damages the plastic inner-hub as it jettisons.

But wait, it appears the new "TRAX 2", is the same thing but just bit wider frame, it still only has 24Cm wheels and the frame does not dissasemble so you can stow it in the forward hatch.
If plugged in to the rear well in the storage position behind the seat, the frame must extend the wheels further out to the side, does this increase Main Sheet fouling when Tacking?

The "Wheelez" cart has larger/wider sand tyres, (That's how we spell tires) 11.8" x 7", and breaks down for easy inboard storage.

http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/store/ ... ry_Code=kw

Yes, I am aware that the larger wheels on the Wheelez contact the Floats when they are folded back , but this is an easy fix with a loop of webbing slipped around the rear of the Floats and over the rear deck of the AI which holds them up a few Centimetres.

Which cart would you, or have you bought and why?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:05 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Max, regardless of which cart or wheel size you get, I would definitely avoid those old PVC wheels pictured in your link. The polyurethane wheel series (also made by Wheeleez) hold more weight, roll easier and are less sensitive to air pressure variations than those featured. I also have to wonder, without a solid axle, if that cart frame shown is strong enough to handle more than the listed weight.

I've never had any problems with any of the carts in the cargo area as long as I keep the wheels on the port side and make sure the mainsheet is clear of all hazards at the beginning. As an alternative, you can pop the wheels off, drop them in the front hatch and lay the tethered frame down flat in the cargo well.

If you're having problems with wheels popping off, I wonder if the springs are sprung of out of position or sand is keeping them from fully seating. If not, you can get the straight axle type from Wheeleez, but obviously not for use with the Hobie frame.

Here's a link to a wheel comparison -- you can see that the new wheels are much much improved over the old!
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=16179

I also tie the amas up when rolling -- in addition to any wheel factor, this keeps them from dragging on the ground. It also takes pressure off the crossbar connection. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have the KFS wide track cart with the wheeleez sand tires and it rolls nicely with the kayak loaded with all the gear. I typically roll the kayak over and insert the cart and roll the kayak up on the wheels and load it up than roll it over a berm and down the beach. The KFS cart is showing some rust and corrosion, I would take that into consideration when evaluating the two carts and with that in mind I would probably opt for the Hobie stainless steel over the KFS cart painted cart.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

OK, some good points there, my Trax#1 is rarely fouling anything in the seat-plugged mode and is a comfy back rest for a tall guy, I just imagined that sheet-snagging might happen with a wider frame in this position.

Right now I wheel the boat right into 2ft of water, unplug the cart, plug it in the rear well, hop in and go.
I dont have time to faff about removing the wheels if I am launching in surf as I want to get out of the break zone saspo, however I guess I could do all that on the beach and drag the AI into the water instead.

I'll check axle-slots for sand build-up, sounds likely.

Ditto wheels, spoke to my excellent Hobie Dealer who also suggested the new wheels fitted to the Trax#1 frame may well be a good solution as the Poly-wheels perform markedly better on soft sand, and the flatter face actually increases wheelbase a little.

Your point on frame strength is noted, the KFS does look a little light, maybe the designer didn't expect people to be hauling 60Kg+ boats on it.

Can the new Poly-Wheels and the Trax#2 frame be purchased separately?

Roadrunner wrote:
Max, regardless of which cart or wheel size you get, I would definitely avoid those old PVC wheels pictured in your link. The polyurethane wheel series (also made by Wheeleez) hold more weight, roll easier and are less sensitive to air pressure variations than those featured. I also have to wonder, without a solid axle, if that cart frame shown is strong enough to handle more than the listed weight.

I've never had any problems with any of the carts in the cargo area as long as I keep the wheels on the port side and make sure the mainsheet is clear of all hazards at the beginning. As an alternative, you can pop the wheels off, drop them in the front hatch and lay the tethered frame down flat in the cargo well.

If you're having problems with wheels popping off, I wonder if the springs are sprung of out of position or sand is keeping them from fully seating. If not, you can get the straight axle type from Wheeleez, but obviously not for use with the Hobie frame.

Here's a link to a wheel comparison -- you can see that the new wheels are much much improved over the old!
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=16179

I also tie the amas up when rolling -- in addition to any wheel factor, this keeps them from dragging on the ground. It also takes pressure off the crossbar connection. 8)

Last edited by skymax on Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

jholtco wrote:
I have the KFS wide track cart with the wheeleez sand tires and it rolls nicely with the kayak loaded with all the gear. I typically roll the kayak over and insert the cart and roll the kayak up on the wheels and load it up than roll it over a berm and down the beach. The KFS cart is showing some rust and corrosion, I would take that into consideration when evaluating the two carts and with that in mind I would probably opt for the Hobie stainless steel over the KFS cart painted cart.

Thanks, another thing I didn't consider.
I exclusively sail in salt water and live next to the beach in a salt air environment yet my Trax#1 has not even rust specks on it after Two years.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Seems like KFS have taken the KFS ULTIMATE CART off the market anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

KFS the store is gone! Went out of business. :(

The forums are still working at staying alive, but quieter (but it's winter time there).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm using two sets of the Wheel-Ez wheels to transport my AI accross the beach. I strap them under the front and rear aka's, using the aka crossbar on the deck to hold them in place. It's much easier to pull the boat, no lifting the hull and digging through the sand. I just lift up slightly on the bow to change directions.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bob L. wrote:
I'm using two sets of the Wheel-Ez wheels to transport my AI accross the beach. I strap them under the front and rear aka's, using the aka crossbar on the deck to hold them in place. It's much easier to pull the boat, no lifting the hull and digging through the sand. I just lift up slightly on the bow to change directions.

Interesting, Is it difficult or time-consuming for one man to attach ONE of those to the AI?
Which Cart was that exactly?
Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Best cart wheels and frame are a real issue - I will continue monitoring this with interest :wink:

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have the newest Hobie wheels (TRAX 2) coming in a few days. I'll be trying in on an AI till my TI gets here. :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The new larger, foam wheels are superior to the inflated ones according to everything I have read, I've ordered but I am still waiting for availability here in Oz.

The new Hobie wide-track cart is better for hauling (keep a strap to tie the AKa up and stop them rubbing on the larger wheels), but stowed upside-down in the usual well-holes during Sailing the wide frame can foul the mainsheet, according to another forum user.
Apparently you have to stow it flat in the aft well with wheels removed to avoid lines tangling, not a prob except i launch in surf often and don't have a lot of time to faff around securing stuff on take-off. not securing stuff on take-off may mean your wheels floating off in the break zone.

I guess i could change my launch plan and drag the boat into the water AFTER stowing the wide cart instead of rolling it in.

Any views from existing Hobie wide-track cart users?

Wild Idea Postscript: At the airport we old guys use a battery powered self-driven 2-wheel trolley that attaches to the Nosewheel to pull our Aeroplanes in/out of the hangar, its home-made from a tilt-trolley, 12 volt car battery and an old starter motor with chain drive.
Sometimes i feel like borrowing it to pull my full-laden AI up & down the beach, this would still be preferable to using the concrete boat ramp and all the hassles that go with boat ramps.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

On a soft sand beach launch, I take the wheels out and stow before launch so less delays in surf.

At a boat launch, I'm protected from the waves, so I roll down and remove in knee deep water and stow before getting underway.

Rocky beach launches are a problem, so I try not to use them, unless the shore break is small.

Powered trolley would be great, but probably not allowed (or if allowed needing license or registration). It'd be really great pulling my AI UP the boat ramp. That takes more out of me than any other part of launching-landing-transporting my AI (I'm normally first in and do mine myself, then go back and help others in my group pull up theirs).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yerr I hear that, I used the Ramp for awhile and it was bit less effort than the beach 'cos the Trax rolled more easily on the hard surface, my Van was closer and there was no sand to wash off.
But somehow the Beach Launch/Landing with the White sand and lush green grassy area just seems to add more quality to the whole AI experience, it's not a long/steep beach but I don't have as much grunt as I used to.
So i have learnt to split all the gear into Two carrying trips so that the AI is not burdened with the Mast, aka, ama or Drive when I wheel it.
A collapsible 20-liter fresh-water container takes care of any sand.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I started off using the plug in type on kayaks and cracked the plastic twice. That's when I switched to Wheelez, which is a cradle style cart and floation wheel. I have two sets now and have never had a problem with them. I solved the ama and width issue by using a styrofoam block. The type used to haul a canoe on the car top. I snap one on each rear aka where in would contact the hull. I holds the ama off the sides and wheels roll free. I rarely fold mine in though. As a mentioned earlier, I'm using two sets now for the AI and its like pulling a wagon. Almost effortless doing down the beach, going up there's no lifting the bow just the pull through the sand.