Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: UHF/VHF radios?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:29 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

After having my girlfriends rudder snap and loosing contact with her, i think it might be necessary to get some waterproof handheld communications system going. I may be required to have VHF radio when i take my AI out more than 2kms into open water so something that does both would be good. What do you guys use?

Post subject: Re: UHF/VHF radios?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:08 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

scrap the VHF, don't need it, a 27mhz radio is sufficient. Are your standard uniden uhf handhelds 27mhz, sorry i don't know as much about these as i should, considering i spent my late teens working at tandy.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I use the Cobra VHS/GMRS with Family Radio and Weather.
http://cobra.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=290&category_ID=26

It's has a few quirks, but works well for me. We use Family radio/GMRS to banter as we sail, and VHF when fishing.

Also, I buy a waterproof radio, and then put it into a waterproof bag to use, mounted to my PDF for one-handed operation and is always with me.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:36 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

wow bob that looks like a really good unit, unfortunately as i need to get 2 it will be a bit out of my price range. I was thinking more along these lines http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/4b86365700dc38d82742c0a87e010681/Product/View/D1838 and then i would just get a couple of waterproof bags for em?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

After thinking about this for a long time and several multi day trips I thing you need both. The VHF is my life-line, I want it to contact help in case I need it. So I am not willing to waste the battery with all day chit-chat, just to find out it is flat when things go wrong.
That is where UHF is great, communication between the kayaks. Often you can run them on AAA batteries, and they are reasonably cheap.
I say get both.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:43 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

me = poor student! do you not have the 27mhz channel in NSW? in WA you can use 27mhz or vhf. My reconning is having 27mHz plus a mobile phone should be enough. If i'm going far out i also have my dads old flairs and PFD1's that i can put in the hull.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

http://www.amazon.com/Icom-IC-M34-VHF-Marine-Transceiver/dp/B000OA0TUM/ref=sr_1_1/190-7380352-3139215?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1267100858&sr=8-1 this is a great unit i use and you can find them at a fair price. They are submersible and they float so it you drop it in you wont be diving for it. Also it comes with a rechargeable lithium-ion battery which last me two days of heavy use on one charge, using it on my center console and on my h-16. Easy to use to. If you could spare the money it's a great buy for your buck, most other floating radios are in the 200 range.

Last edited by hbauguess123 on Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:06 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I went thru 2 (different makers) supposedly waterproof radios at Academy. Both were gone within a week in the backyard due to nothing more that rain while working on the yak. Both went right back to Academy for refunds. I finally went to West Marine and bought a floater that has lithium sealed factory ION (9-12hr battery I think). I purchased the AAA battery pack for back-up. I suspect this "Floater" means it can take the rain and a good splash from the waves. I noticed that altough it can be submerged, according to the FCC code standard, I believe there is a time limit on that. For me it still will get the waterproof bag treatment. It cost around a $100 but it was well worth it and has great range. There is no cost cutting on this issue. This is your lifeline

Last edited by sammy925 on Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:09 am, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

On my Cobra radio, the battery is big enough that I only have to charge it about once a month. And we've been getting out 2-3 times a week. I also talk a lot especially if it gets wild, to tell who's having fun and who's had enough. :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks hbauguess, I ordered one after seeing your recommendation and checking some for myself.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

and i checked with my dad who also uses this radio and he stated that we have only charged it twice the whole summer. I didnt realize how long the battery really lasted. I think you will be very pleased with this radio. It is extremely easl to use and has a really good range. Glad i could help.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:54 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yes that is the one I have the ICOM IC M34. There is a AAA battery pack that can be ordered part number BP-251 for it. That is what I purchased for emergency power back up. Great Radio!!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The ICOM M36 is a slightly nicer radio with noise cancellation and has a 6-watt output instead of 5 watts like the M34. It’s waterproof, floats and is submersible just as well. Bought ours from valancemarine.com in December. With the $40 rebate per radio (at the time), ours cost right around $98us apiece. Even without the rebate, it still can be bought cheaper some places than the M34. If you opt for the optional 5 AAA battery case instead of using the Li-Ion battery that comes with it, the radio becomes heavier and looses its floating capability.

On edit: Just checked ICOM's website, they still have a $40 rebate/radio on the M36, but you have to buy before March 7, 2010.