Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:18 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Will I fit two Hobie Outbacks on my Subaru Impreza (MY05) wagon using the Thule Kayak Stacker? http://www.rackwarehouse.com/t830.html#

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi John_j,
I would be very skeptical about safely transporting two outbacks as you question on a Subie Impreza.
Consider the Outback Kayak is 12 feet long x 34" wide x about 13" deep.....weight is about 65 pounds.
I believe at best, the supports would be about 3 feet apart.....that leaves about 4.5 feet of the hull unsupported on either end......not to mention, with two hulls, there is about 130 pounds on the roof rack....overload??
It seems to me the car would be "wearing the kayaks"...almost like hauling a living room couch on a roof rack.

I have a 2007 Subaru Outback and one Hobie Outback......using 2 ea. Yakima 48" wide crossbars, 4 ea. Yakima rail grab mounts, 4 ea. Mako Aero saddles + a Showboat end loader so I can easily slide the Kayak onto the racks and not damage the 3rd. light/aero overhang on the back hatch.
This works fine for one kayak.
Dr. Steelhead Catcher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:17 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Without seeing the stacker, I'm thinking it'll be close. Reason I say that is the width of the Outback. Check that before you attempt it. I don't think the "arm" on the stacker is long enough to reach across the width of the Outback. Doesn't mean something can't be done to accommodate it but it might take some rigging. That's not saying anything about the vehicle itself carrying the weight on the roof safely.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

John_h wrote:
Will I fit two Hobie Outbacks on my Subaru Impreza (MY05) wagon using the Thule Kayak Stacker? http://www.rackwarehouse.com/t830.html#

I could put two Outback SUV's on a Mazda 323. So I guess you could do the same on your car??? Good Luck

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:40 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for the replies, I'll consider it all.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have an Acura Integra, which is pretty small. We had two Sports on Yakima J bars, which was pretty solid but the bars didn't fit the hull contour well and created serious pressure points. We considered the Thule Stacker but didn't like the lack of lateral support. As mentioned, the height could be a bit short also.

Following recomendations from the forum, We ultimately went with 66" crossbars and the boats laying flat. This is more secure and better for the boats, especially for long trips (we tow the car behind an RV and the boats could be loaded for potentially weeks). The bars do extend beyond the roof but just inside the car maximum width. Two outbacks would push the limit on the width but would probably fit, you might want to try it if possible. End caps are available for the bars to keep the straps from slipping off if the load is close to the bar ends. It's also possible to get longer bars and cut them to the length you need, maybe 68" or 70". The bars are all the same price new for any length. If you extend beyond the car maximum width there could be legal issues, check local regulations.

Plan carefully. We went with a quick solution and found we had wasted a lot of money.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm not sure if your Outbacks will "nest". Here's a pic of my wifes car with a pair of Sports "nested". You can use a piece of 1" Schedule 40 PVC pipe, between drain holes, to help keep them stable.

This has worked trouble-free for us.

Regards, JimL

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'd really like to see some pix of any Subaru rigs y'all may have as I'm think'in on gett'in a WRX & I'll be haul'in around a Revolution and a Outback so I am very interested in this topic as well.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Fastfish wrote:
I'd really like to see some pix of any Subaru rigs y'all may have as I'm think'in on gett'in a WRX & I'll be haul'in around a Revolution and a Outback so I am very interested in this topic as well.

My Thule rack bars are 65" long. The Thule cross bars mount on my factory WRX roof rack bars, assuming you buy the active sports person WRX model, not the family person style with the trunk. You do have to remember the racks presence when getting out the car, they are head clunkers. I believe Thule still sells rack bars that are longer than mine. In my state, the only maximum width rule I know of is 96 inches on all roads, and 102 inches on certain federal roads. The large cargo area is how I carry my i12S Hobie kayak inside the WRX. I suspect you could carry your Revo flat and the Outback on it's side, but check the measurements for yourself first.

I could not figure out how to attach a photo here of the Thule racks on my bugeye WRX, PM me and I'll send it to you. How did you do you photo JimL? Nice rack, BTW.
The WRX is a great all purpose car for an active lifestyle person, roomy front seats and cargo area (with the back seats flipped down), very fast, zips around corners without rollover worries, and gets upper twenties mpg. Very reliable, and the "wagon" model is inexpensive to insure. The 02 to 07 models tow a 1000 lb trailer with ease too, they are rated to 2000 lbs with trailer brakes. Don't buy a no clutch pedal transmission, they are gutless off the line. Don't buy an 08. The 08 models lost their punch, 09 & 10's have it restored. And of course, a WRX should be World Rally (X)cross blue in color.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've always been intrigued by this post from Reconlon (Kayaking Bob): viewtopic.php?f=73&t=12927&p=80909&hilit=+truck+tyedowns#p80909.
He seems to manage to transport two Adventure hulls on their sides without a J-rack or a stacker. Goodness knows how he gets them both sitting in place prior to strapping them down.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I could see how you would think that looking at the angle of that photo.
How's this:
There is a Thule Stacker (#830) hidden there in between the two center hulls. I put 4 on often and think I can fit 5 (maybe with one being a TI :) ) but I will probably be close to the load limit of the system. I think a trailer may be my next savings goal once the TI is here as I'm not getting any younger. Plus, I'm running out of places to hold all the other gear, and those 14' TI ama.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ahh, that explains it. Thanks Bob.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 1:47 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I ended up just going with flat cross bars and stacking them

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 6:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

With that sort of load I would highly recommend using a bow rope from the front of the kayaks
to the front of the vehicle.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 1:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Wow! Be careful with that.

I have an SUV and the posted weight limit on my roof rack is 75 pounds. To me, that eliminates the possibility of two Hobies on the roof. One Oasis is our limit.