Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 80  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:04 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

That's what I like to hear!

Dan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tiger Key, a Paddle-In, Fishing—an Everglades trip

Quote:
I put five dollars, a jackknife, fishing reel, and associated paraphernalia into a box and secreted it in my desk drawer. If disaster struck, I would be ready. If anyone survived, it would be me.

Steven Callahan, “Adrift”

It is about 8 mi from Everglades City Ranger station to Tiger Key. The route is straight-forward since it is clearly marked to Indian Key. Then, make the turn to the northwest to sail up Gaskin Bay, finally, turn left into a cut. Once through the cut, you can see Tiger Key beach to the west. This is a “beginner” trip. Of course, if the wind is ripping, or you are sailing against the incoming tide with a strong off-shore wind coming through Indian Key Pass, it can be tougher, a lot tougher. And, if you have never done this sort of thing before, it is still pretty easy to get lost if you don’t pay attention to your charts and compass (modern day people put a route on their GPS and simply follow it—others hate that simple-minded approach, and they don’t trust the electronics anyway.) Here is my track as I and 3 other Hobie Adventure Island sailors did the trek. We also had a kayaker (Bob Manz) with us. The winds were light, and we had to tack into Gaskin Bay, so the kayaker got to Tiger Key first. That used to bother me, but today I accept it as luck-of-the-draw, or should I say the weather. The AI pilots were Bill Waller (Polecat), Bob Quirk (Quirkster), and Lou Greenwell. Four AIs in the Everglades National Park—that has to be a fleet record.
Google Earth image of my track to Tiger Key spit.

Do you know what a “spit” is? Here in Florida, it is a long, narrow sand bar—an extension of an island, and it can be quite large. It often has the shape of the trajectory of one’s spit. In the everglades, a spit frequently can be found at the northern end of an island. Indian Key has a pronounced spit as does Pavilion Key. Sometimes the “spit” curves around so much the area becomes like a pancake, making a great camping site. That is the case at Tiger and New Turkey Key 20 miles southeast.
Here is the Pavilion Key spit from eye level:

We often camp on these spits, because they have a breeze reducing bug problems.

Chokoloskee Bay after our launch from Everglades City

Lou in Indian Key Pass

Quirkster took this picture when we were in the wide part of the Pass.

The boys have made the turn into Gaskin Bay—we had to beat into the wind as we made our way up the bay.

Evening on Tiger Key spit—it is near high tide. The tide has reached the back of my AI on the right.

The tide is receding. Not much free board on these spits at high tide. With really high tides in September-October, a spit can be under water. High tides and high winds can make for interesting times on a spit.

Guess which one is the kayaker. Bob Manz on left. AI drivers are Quirkster, Lou, and Polecat.

Quirkster took this picture—I’m on the left. Note the nice fire pit which Lou dug. Lou is very environmentally conscious. When we leave this campsite, there will be no evidence of a campfire thanks to Lou.

Sunrise

Today is a fishing day. This is my track starting and stopping at our spit. My track covers about 3.5 miles. I fished shorelines and deeper water. I had my sail up—the other 3 (Quirkster, Polecat, and Lou) fished in Adventure mode. My big screw-up of the day came when I caught the mainsheet under one untethered rod/reel (I had 2) and dumped it in the water. Dumb! The kinks in my track are because I was not trolling. Rather, I would go some distance either by sail or fins, stop, cast for fish, then move to another. I’ve put some red dots indicating a couple of my stops—but there were many, many stops.

Quirkster takes a picture of me as I talk about the one that got away. We have a visitor, Miles, seated on the right listening politely.

Quirkster displays the ONLY fish we caught—he is too embarrassed to bring it in close to shore—I used my zoom. It is a Spanish mackerel—we usually don’t bother with these but in a pinch….

The 3rd day out is going to be a big day. The Bob’s are packing up and leaving, but first we will travel to Indian Key for the “Capt. Wright’s Paddle-In.” Capt. Wright runs a successful kayak fishing guide service. Probably about 100 people will show up—but, we will be the only Hobie AIs. This is my route to and from.

We deliberately arrive in formation. Cindy arrived ahead of us and took this picture of our approach. You don’t know Cindy. The Bob’s will leave us, but we picked up Cindy Augustyn.

Polecat (in black), Lou (in red), and Quirkster (in grey) check out the buffet set up by Capt. Wright and his crew. Each of us donated $10—it went to a school in the Chokoloskee area for student environmental studies

These paddlers are fishermen and women. Most are checking out each other’s gear.

Back at camp. Meet Cindy. She is a kayaker and a strong paddler.

On the last day, after we were all packed and waiting for favorable tides, Cindy, Lou, and I did a hike to the front of Tiger Key. It was beautiful.

Cindy can always improve a picture.

Cindy expresses her disapproval of some clueless campers. These are the ashes they left. It is a pet peeve of mine. How can campers be so disrespectful of the beaches? This is a wilderness area. You don’t leave trash on the beaches. Many people have a fetish about campfires—to them, campfires are like Motherhood and apple pie. If you MUST have a campfire, dig a deep pit near the previous night’s high tide line, have your fire, burn all the wood to ashes, and fill the pit in before you leave. Otherwise, DON’T HAVE A CAMPFIRE. It is pretty simple. DO NOT LEAVE ASHES AND PARTIALLY BURNED FIREWOOD ON THE BEACH—THAT IS A NO-BRAINER. Be good stewards of our beaches.

More of Tiger Key

A couple of Ibis (Chokoloskee Chicken, Curlew) walking with us. The white one is an adult. The brown one is a teenager—it will turn white when it reaches adulthood.

Lou got this great picture of an osprey at its nest.

Sunset on Tiger Key by Quirkster

Concluding comments:

Fun trip. Great people, good spirits, good weather, and a beautiful setting made for a quality, relaxing trip. No problems with boats or gear. Fishing could have been better, but recent, unusually cold weather has put a dent in the fishing. Frankly, our group seldom has good fishing at Tiger—next trip we will be heading 35 mi southeast, where the big fish hang out—stay tuned.

Lou was using my wife’s AI. It was his first time sailing an AI. At times he suffered from lack of knowledge. For example, as we returned from Indian Key and passed through a shallow area by the Stop Keys, I’m calling to him to uncleat the rudder line. I could see him looking around, but he doesn’t understand. Of course, we had not told him to cleat the rudder line. Things like that kept him on his toes most of the trip—but he loved it.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great report once again Keith! 8)
I can see how easy it would be to get lost in that maze of channels.
Why is it that Red AI's are always outnumbered? :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great pictures, again!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks, fellows. It was one of our more relaxing, social trips.

Stringy, that red boat is my wife's. Don't you think red is a bit effeminate? These were all men.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Great story, great pics - makes me think seriously about visiting the Everglades in an AI.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Okz00k, Kayaking Bob, and Aloha Dan (& others) -- you are invited to visit us here in S FL, just make it during the "winter months" of Dec, Jan, Feb,...maybe Mar. This year Mar is going to be a "cool" month. I have lots of gear, but only one spare AI.

Our next trip is going to be Mar 12th. We are actually hoping it will warm a bit, since that will make for better fishing. It has to be better than our Tiger Key trip--and it will.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You mean we'll have to go in a RED AI? :shock: :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You could have your choice of matching paddle gear...

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for the offer... maybe someday... brrrrr

And when it gets too hot for you there, come visit us out in Hawaii. We can practice not diving the hulls in 6' wind waves. :)

Your trips do look wonderful! (but the Aussie's have you on camping deserts)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Those blokes have sure thrown down the gauntlet, haven't they. We will see. With our coolers there is little limitation. I did do a couple stir fries that last trip--included sauteed shrimp in one. One of the delicacies that we occasionally have when we sail out of Chokoloskee/Everglades City is stone crab claws--no prep, just set up on the beach and enjoy. The area is one perhaps the stone crab capital of the world. Never had stone crab? Don't know what it is? Go to "Joe's Stone Crab" on South Beach. Here is the link: http://www.joesstonecrab.com/

Or you could just come w/ us--we will bring the key lime pie, too.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks again Keith. Sounds, and certainly looks like another great trip. Great report mate.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Keith - great photos and trip report. 8) :wink:
I did say to slaughter that he could have included ice cream with the Pavlova :lol:

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Just a quick note to say how enjoyable and informative this thread is. There is tons of good info to pull from too. Nice job to all involved ! Certainly makes me want to expedition my new Revo & sail kit.

One Ocean Storm cedar stripbuilt
2009 Native Ultimate 12

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 12:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I used to go on trips with my REVO it's OK for camping but more limited in payload than the AI. So water is a limiting factor and there is room for few luxuries such as coolers nice chairs and tables. But pack lite and use backpacking meals and a 4 - 5 day trip is totally doable.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 80  Next