Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Whats it worth?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I know a guy who has an '87 with a trailer for $1200 ( I can probably work him down to 900ish) I haven't seen the boat but It was sailing last season so I assume It's in semi respectable shape. I already have 2-16's/ 1.5-18's and a 21sc I share with my father. One of the 16's will go come June, one of the 18's will be parted out (hulls, crossbars, shrouds, and a comp-tip mast~ minus the comp-tip part)
I love the Idea of centerboards!!! but is the 17 comparable to the 18 at all? last year I bought and outgrew my 16 and every one i spoke to said, "Get an 18!!!" so I did but the dagger boards are a drag. Its a miracle I haven't ripped open a trunk yet.
So here are my questions.
-What does used 17 go for, ballpark?
-What inherent problems does the 17 suffer from?
-What are the most expensive things to replace on a 17?
-What are the SWEET options (both racing and day sail)
-Finally, why does a 17 have the little bow spreader bar on the turbo version?

If theres any REAL wisdom to be had regarding the 17 I'll gladly listen!
thanks,
Jack

Post subject: Re: Whats it worth?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well, you've already got a 16 & an 18, so with a 17, you'll be well on your way to completing the collection.

Quote:
I love the Idea of centerboards!!! but is the 17 comparable to the 18 at all?

The 17 is not as good as the 18 when it comes to sailing with more than one person. However, the 17 is great for single handing. It is easier to manouver on the beach, handles nicely on the water, and is about the same speed as the 18.

Quote:
-What does used 17 go for, ballpark?

Really depends on condition. When I bought my first used one 5 years ago, I paid $1K for it (a 1989 I think). It had no trailer, the sail was trashed, and it needed considerable TLC. After all was said and done, I probably ended up spending about $2500 total. Overall the boat did well racing, but I ended up getting a new one. Most used 17s tend to be in the $1500 to $4500 range.

Quote:
-What inherent problems does the 17 suffer from?

Not much. Dammaged/leaking wing sockets are very common. Loose crossbar end caps which cause the boat to be sloppy. And worn centerboards from being dragged on the beach (they tend to want to project below the surface of the hull).

Quote:
-What are the most expensive things to replace on a 17?

Get yourself a Hobie catalog. The hulls, sail, and mast are going to be at the top of the list.

Quote:
-What are the SWEET options (both racing and day sail)

Not much you need to do for one-design racing. A decent set of rudders and an on-the-fly adjustable downhaul system are about it. Otherwise, the boat is good to go out of the box.

Quote:
-Finally, why does a 17 have the little bow spreader bar on the turbo version?

It's a compression bar. The original 17 was designed with 10 foot long bridle wires for the forestay. Most of the force of these wires is directed upward rather than inward and this allowed the designers to use a lighter-duty construction for the hulls. When they added a jib option, they needed to use much shorter bridles. Using traditional bridle wires would have resulted in a higher inward force than the hulls were designed for, so they use a compression bar to keep the forestay/bridle tension directed upward and not inward.

sm

Post subject: Re: Whats it worth?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks a ton, probably THE most comprehensive answer I could ask for! I'll definitely be adding one to my backyard armada later this spring!