Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tiller assembly question
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just picked up a used 2006 wave from a sailing school and they rigged the tiller assembly to be 'permanent' in a sense. The tiller assembly has the 'club connector' which they riveted to the tiller arm of the rudder. Over time the whole assembly loosened up, especially the bolt inside the swivel assembly. So I drilled out the rivets and was able to tighten up inner bolt. The problem is they did quite a poor job with their riveting and the holes they drilled did a number on the swivel assembly...and it's in rough shape as a result.

Long story short is I'd like to replace the 'club' swivel with the '07 tiller connection and I needed to know if it would be compatible with the crossbar I already have. The description in the product listing is nil.... I was wondering if I order the Item # 1957 kit if that will have everything I need or do I need to get the whole crossbar?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:21 pm 
Site Admin

1957 should be perfect for what you want. No additional crossbar required.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

great, thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:
1957 should be perfect for what you want. No additional crossbar required.

Matt,

I just thought I'd point out a mistake in the instructions for the 1957 kit. The drill guides are mis-printed. It has three 1-3/16" templates and one 1-9/16" template, when it should be the other way around. But actually the templates are no good anyway, because by photocopying the instructions for inclusion in the kit, the templates have shrunk. So if you drilled those holes, you'd miss completely.

I installed the kit yesterday, marking my own holes based on the text, and it all went very smoothly! (But those rivets are tough to pop!) I had to work on it while the parts were cold, otherwise I couldn't get the old rubber inserts out of the aluminum tubes.

Thanks for providing the upgrade! The tendons (even the newer white ones) always concerned me, since they were always under stress. Plus I could never get the tillers and crossbar apart.

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I ordered the kit and installed mine this past fall, I used the templates and didn't have any fit problems, everything fit snugly as it should, must not have been a photocopy. I did measure before I drilled the holes and the template is right on the money, perhaps YMMV.

Those rivets were nasty though! really tough.

Overall the new assemble is LOADS better than the older tendon connection, very smooth and snug. Assembly of the tiller is far easier as well.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

bigben91682 wrote:
... perhaps YMMV.

Huh?

The kit I got may have been kinda old. The dealer (in Florida) didn't seem too familiar with it, but they had a dozen in stock, so it may have been there awhile. Maybe this has already been corrected.

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

sorry.....your mileage may vary. :D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

When you installed the end pieces in the crossbar, how tight were they? I'm trying to remove one and it doesn't budge. I don't want to force it to much and break it.

Charlie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The new plastic elbows came with a rectangular piece of white teflon material, which was to be wrapped around each elbow as it was inserted into the bar. The teflon is to act as a slippery surface, so the elbows which are supposed to spin can do so. On the fixed position one (with the screw), I guess it just acts as a spacer and keeps things snug.

So to answer your question, once the screw or rivet is removed, it should spin free and slide out just as easily, although they are pretty tight. Maybe yours has gotten sand or dirt in? Could the screw or rivets have left a burr on the inside of the hole?

I could scan and email the instructions if you want to see them.

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Indy,

I removed the screw and checked for a bur, could,'t see ant and the fitting was really tight. So I heated up the end of the cross bar with a hair dryer and was able turn the fitting. It took a bit, but finally removed it. It felt like it had some sort of lubricant on it and a bit of grit. Even after cleaning it up, its still a real tight fit.

I don't need the instructions, thanks for the offer.

Charlie