Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:01 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Greetings workers. Took my Oasis out today for a couple of firsts - first time solo and first time sailing.

I have a bad back and have hurt it a couple of times loading/unloading the roof of the car. I've finally found a way of managing it without killing myself. Might post some pics of the technique later. I can confidently manage it on my own now, so I'm happy.

I put two of these 15 kilo hand weights in the front hatch. Seems about the right amount of counterweight for my 100kg body in the back seat. Thanks to all the folks posting about their ballast ideas - it was helpful.

Sailing...

My first impression of solo pedaling was how light the boated seemed. I'll have no problem pushing some distance on my own. I plan to do night fishing on the river. I'll take my camera, of course.

The wind was a bit gusty and variable. I was pleasantly surprised how far into the wind I could sail and how much speed I could get up under a good wind even with no pedaling. I think I'll arrange a boom batten soon - thanks again guys for posting your ideas.

The nose didn't look so high when I was on board. It only became evident in the photos when I looked at them. Still, I think 30 kgs ballast is enough.

Anyway, I love this kayak. I love the Mirage drive. I'm totally new to yakking and would never have been interested in traditional paddling. The versatility of the Oasis is going to keep me busy for years.

And again, thanks to you all for posting your ideas, tips and modifications.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

G'Day Gorkle,
Welcome to the forum and what an excellent newbie post- pics and all!
Looks like you've done your research well -aren't these forums great! It was about a year ago that we got our Tandem (Oasis) and we've had a fantastic time with it. It was responsible for getting me interested in sailing, so much so that I have just progressed to an AI. Still if I could only have one kayak it would be the Oasis for its versatility. We are going on a camping trip in it this weekend and are planning an island hop in the Whitsundays later in the year. :)
I too have struggled with loading the Oasis solo onto the high roof of our 4WD. The best method for me is to only pick up one end, lift it up to the rear of the car then rest it there on some carpet, go to the other end and lift and slide. The Hobie dvd shows another method that may be more suited to to your vehicle. I am working on modifying a small trailer at the moment to make transporting easier.
In the past we have crossed the Nullarbor and also come down from the Kimberleys and visited some of the great places you have over there to explore. Back then we had a Canadian canoe. The Oasis would have been a much better craft. Congratulations -it is a great choice! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:10 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Gorkle, congratulations on an excellent choice! We've enjoyed the Oasis (AKA Tandem) for about 5 years and like it just as much now as then. It just can't be beat for capacity and versatility.

If you haven't already done it, you'll find the Turbofins and large sailing rudder will enhance the boat's handling and sailing capability nicely, and a couple of blocks for your mainsheet will improve the sail response.

Thanks for posting the great pics! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey Roadrunner - I had the sailing rudder fitted before I bought it, and a block on the rear pad-eye too. Turbo fins already on order :) All that as a result of reading up (here) about these things before I bought.

Stringy - I love your front hatch-mounted second sail. Not sure I'll be doing that. And I'm already thinking about buying an AI one day. I'm loading my car using the technique you describe, except I turn it over on the roof once it's loaded. I find it a real struggle holding it upside-down before then - the boat really wants to flip back upright if I try to hold it overturned.

I'm taking my kids for a river cruise on the weekend. They are small enough to both fit up the front. They are going to love it. They have PFDs and are great swimmers. I'll post photos :)

Gork.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

my oasis solo sailing.. 8) H13
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqXym6g7EZs[/youtube]

Last edited by husky13 on Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Roadrunner wrote:
and a couple of blocks for your mainsheet will improve the sail response.

What is a block when sailing/ Do you have a pict of what you are talking about? Thanks

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:59 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Thinwater skinner wrote:
What is a block when sailing/ Do you have a pict of what you are talking about? Thanks

A block is simply a pulley. The most important block is mounted on the padeye where the rear handle is located (you would otherwise just run the mainsheet though the padeye there). this reduces friction and sail response time (for quickly releasing the sail in gusts). You would ask for a "microblock" -- they have them at West Marine and can also be ordered through Hobie. You don't want a swivel block -- just a simple block.

You can so a search on the sailing forum to see some other applications. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

my oasis solo sailing (part 2) :roll: ..wind 15, 20 kn ..speed 4 kn

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru2YjKZwEf4[/youtube]

ciao H13

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Very nice Husky13! 8)
You have that Oasis well trimmed solo.
Looks good. :)