Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:38 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Matt or anyone else with a suggestion,

I think my steering is backwards, but I'm not sure how to fix it. My PA turns right when I move the steering control to the left and turns left when I move the control to the right. My brother's PA is the opposite. I changed out the steering hub, but it looks like I installed everything correctly.

I also pulled apart the steering mechanism, and that seems to be in proper order. It seems that the lines must have been crosses in the black tube somehow.

I'm not sure what the easiest way is to correct this situation? It looks like I may need to disconnect the black line tube from the steering conrol, flip it and reinstall, but I think I need to pulll the steering line completely out to do that -- it is one piece that loops around the adjuster screw. Seems like trouble to me.

Any suggestions?

TDK

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:04 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Well ... that explains the spare Mirage bungee! Sorry, you may not be in the mood for jokes right now. From the photos it appears the line is fed through two separate ports onto the steering disc in your left palm. If that is the case, I'd leave that and approach things from the aft end. Maybe you can detach the lines from the steering hub and pull them through the access behind the seat, flip and re-feed back to the steering hub. I don't know how to avoid having wraps in the line ( within the tube ) as it goes forward to the steering mechanism. Any wraps will create abrasion/resistance. A spare set of hands may help, one manipulating the steering while the other keeps tension on both ends of the line. Hopefully it's not more complicated than that or Matt may have to pitch in on this one. I hope this helps in some way. Good luck, I'm sure you'll figure it out if you haven't already! Issues like these will help you understand the inner workings of your kayak that much more.
The boat looks great! I like the roof rack too!

GR8 Laker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:39 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I fixed it. No worries, no stress. The challenge was kind of fun. I detached the line ends from the steering hub and tied on a length of fishing line to each, about an inch from the end of the steering line. I then pulled the lines back out through to the steering control, leaving the fishing lines in the tubes that go to the rudder hub. I clipped the the fishing lines off the steering lines, unscrewed the two bolts that hold the black feeder tube into the steering control, pulled out the plastic unit on the end of the black tube, flipped it, reinserted it into the steering control and reinstalled the bolts. I then tied the two fishing lines to the appropriate steering line ends and pulled them back through to the rudder control. I reattached the lines to the rudder hub and adjusted the steering control to get proper turning range for the rudder. No problem -- it only took about 20 minutes once I decided what to do. I'm ready to be on the water at 7:30 tomorrow morning!

I'm just getting to your message, but I had to do pretty much what you suggested, GR8 Laker.

Thanks!

TDK