Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 3:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 6:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I own a Hobie Revolution 13 and I just purchased a used Hobie PA 14 with a trailer that carries two kayaks. The extra room in the PA 14 should help when I'm fishing, I intend to use the Revo for exercise and collecting bait. Up until now I have used my truck (has an 8ft bed) to take the Revo to the launching ramp.

The rudder will not raise on the PA 14 and I have read that this is because of a groove that the cord has worn in the kayak as it goes down towards the rudder. I checked and the groove is present in my kayak. I can raise the rudder using my hand and if my wife raises the rudder this way I can cleat it up with no problem. Releasing the cleat does cause the rudder to go down under its own weight.

Has anyone tried filling the groove with epoxy or some other product that will provide the necessary support for the cord going to the rudder? If I use the right material I might be able to resolve the problem for a few years perhaps. I do have some fiberglass filler with hardener so that's a possibility.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 6:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You did not mention what year PA-14 you own, but the line cutting into the hull issue is usually caused by storing the PA with the rudder in the retracted position.

See this old posting https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=57394

If the slot wear is in the center hole, consider installing a Teflon or Delrin grommet/bushing so the hull and spectra line is protected.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 1:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately I cannot find the numbers on the hull (looked in the spot mentioned in various posts and all aroung the kayak) that would give me the year. I bought it from a coupld who said it was bought new 2 years ago and been out maybe twice then kept in the garage. The trailer is very clean and the kayak well looked after with a few excellent accessories but when I took it out for a spin on the water, the husband told me that he had been out fishing on it many times but cleaned it after every trip. The wife advertised it as a 360 but it was a 180 so I was a little hesitant as you can imagine.

I like the grommet approach. Thanks.