Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm interested in buying a 2019 or 2020 Revolution 16 which is hibiscus red in colour. I found on this forum posts back in 2010 saying that red tends to fade the fastest and the most, and that there are a few sprays on the market that can help. I was wondering if this is an issue that was addressed by Hobie, or if I should consider another colour like the orange or sea-green yellow, or just make sure I use a spray protectant like 303 Aerospace Protectant or Hobie's protectants on the kayak from the start?

I'm kind of new to kayaking (but did a long kayak trip years ago with no worries) and am concerned about flipping so I was considering getting the arma side supports. I want to go offshore and do photography/video, some fishing and perhaps try camping/exploring the islands offshore.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:58 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Welcome to the forum! I don't think the fading is limited to circa 2010. My 2016 Hobie has faded some too. A lot of it has to do with using harsh chemicals to clean it, where it is stored and/or washing it with high pressure at a car wash. That said I use 303 and it restores the color beautifully. Get the color you want IMO and use the 303. You'll be fine.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I've had a red 2019 outback for about a year now and it looks great. I guess the question over time will be how you care for it and store it. Mine is in my garage. I've hit it with 303 spray twice now since I've had it and I use it about once a week in Florida fishing saltwater.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:03 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

303 brings the color back for sure. I found that instead of washing my kayak at the car wash with high pressure washing it by hand at home with gentle soap (I use a car wash soap with wax) makes a big difference. Also I stopped using harsh or strong chemicals like 409 and that also has made a difference.