Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 1:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My EPO's arrived, put them on the boat and measured lead/trailing edge, I am a little toed out with my threaded adjuster all the way in. Turns out I have been toed out ever since I've had the new connectors.

I had the H20 style connectors installed this spring, and currently the crossbar measures 77in with the threaded adjuster tightened all the way in.

So...do I shorten the crossbar by maybe 1.5 inches or so (guessing) on each side and re-drill/reinstall?

What is the correct overall length with the adjuster tightened all the way?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Another question...would I only shorten the adjustable (port) end of the crossbar instead of shortening both ends?

The tiller yoke needs to remain centered, seems that if I shorten the starboard side that side will always be toed in, possibly too much...

Am I making this too complicated?!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

First thing I would suggest is to verify the upper castings are on the correct sides. The tiller arms should point inward. If the rudders are on the wrong side, you will never get the toe in corect.

sm

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

It's possible that the upper arms could have been reversed, I've been running on very little sleep...

My crossbar with the threaded adjuster all the way out is just over 79 inches, threaded all the way in the length is about 77 inches...just seems long.

I'll double check my upper castings when I make it back out there.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Update...for inquiring minds and future searches within this forum, here it goes:

Verified that rudder arms are on the correct side.

Measured leading trailing edge of rudders, still toed out about 1/4 in (trailing edge 82 1/8, leading edge just shy of 82.5 in).

Hypothesis: toed out as a result of length stock crossbar with H20 style connectors. With the port side adjuster all the way in, my crossbar w/connectors has an overall length of 77 inches. My crossbar needs to be shortened.

The original end caps are around 1 inch in length, the replacement H20 end caps are 1.5 in, keep in mind that the port side has another 1.5 inches of adjustment.

I measured a stock H14 crossbar w/endccaps (adjusted all the way in) and it had an overall length of just inside 75 inches.

My crossbar adjusted all the way in is 77 inches, and I will never need to adjust out any further than 77 inches since I know that 77 inches is toe out rudder adjustment.

Result: I will uninstall/reinstall my H20 style connectors, and shorten my crossbar to achieve an overall length of 75.4 inches, with the ability to adjust to 76.9 inches if needed.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would adjust it out an inch and measure the toe in again. There will be a ratio since the rudder arm is longer than the width of the rudder. It takes more adjustment than you get a difference in the toe in, as a result.

By the way, when measuring the length of the adjusters, measure from the crossbar to the center of the bolt, which is the pivot point, rather then the far end.

Good luck,

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I measured from the center pre and post cut to insure that my tiller connection would remain centered. I didn't think to adjust out an inch to calculate a ratio...oh well, I have another stock tiller crossbar if I screw up this one.

I ended up taking 3/4 of an inch off of each side, and I am now able to adjust the overall length anywhere between ~75 and 77 inches.

I remember reading a post from Matt Miller in a previous thread that the stock H14 tiller crossbars need to be shortened when adding H20 connectors: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=39784&hilit=Tiller+length