Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: H14T vs H14 Racing Tips
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi All,

New to the forum. I recently purchased a Hobie 14T! I have joined a club and dabbling in the local racing scene which has captured my full attention and time! I was hoping if I posted a few questions there might be some out there with H14T experience that might not mind sharing a bit of their knowledge.

1. I have read a lot about H14 sailing/racing but have found that there is not as much about H14T racing. One question I have is regarding the downwind leg. What I have read says that an H14 typically is sailed directly downwind towards the mark. Given that the H14T has a jib, is it faster to sail 90degree apparent or directly downwind? Anyone have experience with this?

2. When sailing closehauled (or at least what I think is close hauled) I notice that my windward luff TT is not flowing. When I sheet in further nothing changes and when when I sail closer to the wind I slow down....could there be an issue with my mast (see mast rotation issue below, but this occurs even when the mast is properly rotated) or the way the wind is entering the sail that I am not aware of possibly something to do with the jib or slot?

3. I have found that my mast does not like to rotate. I am constantly getting on my line and finding the mast did not rotate through the tack and now I am single handed fighting with the mast while trying to maintain my line. Is this a common issue? Are there any suggestions on how to improve this?

4. There is a lot of talk about H14 mast rake. Do the same principles that apply to an H14 regarding mast rake apply to an H14T as well? With the jib, mast rake is a little more difficult to achieve. I installed a 10 hole adjusted in the furler but with more mast rake, the jib starts much much higher on the boat. Can I adjust the bridal lengths (custom) or does that void the class rules? Should I read about the H16 mast rake principles and apply them instead as it is more similar to a turbo?

5. As mentioned there is a lot written about the H14 sailing and racing but very little about H14T and even when you do find information it is difficult to know which boat they are talking about. If there is anyone on here with some H14T experience, should I be concentrating on the information I find about racing/sailing the H16 or is the H14 information still valid.

6. Any other go fast tips? I am loving the boat but always want to get better!

Thanks all any help is appreciated!! :D :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

clons87 wrote:
Hi All,

New to the forum. I recently purchased a Hobie 14T! I have joined a club and dabbling in the local racing scene which has captured my full attention and time! I was hoping if I posted a few questions there might be some out there with H14T experience that might not mind sharing a bit of their knowledge.

1. I have read a lot about H14 sailing/racing but have found that there is not as much about H14T racing. One question I have is regarding the downwind leg. What I have read says that an H14 typically is sailed directly downwind towards the mark. Given that the H14T has a jib, is it faster to sail 90degree apparent or directly downwind? Anyone have experience with this?

2. When sailing closehauled (or at least what I think is close hauled) I notice that my windward luff TT is not flowing. When I sheet in further nothing changes and when when I sail closer to the wind I slow down....could there be an issue with my mast (see mast rotation issue below, but this occurs even when the mast is properly rotated) or the way the wind is entering the sail that I am not aware of possibly something to do with the jib or slot?

3. I have found that my mast does not like to rotate. I am constantly getting on my line and finding the mast did not rotate through the tack and now I am single handed fighting with the mast while trying to maintain my line. Is this a common issue? Are there any suggestions on how to improve this?

4. There is a lot of talk about H14 mast rake. Do the same principles that apply to an H14 regarding mast rake apply to an H14T as well? With the jib, mast rake is a little more difficult to achieve. I installed a 10 hole adjusted in the furler but with more mast rake, the jib starts much much higher on the boat. Can I adjust the bridal lengths (custom) or does that void the class rules? Should I read about the H16 mast rake principles and apply them instead as it is more similar to a turbo?

5. As mentioned there is a lot written about the H14 sailing and racing but very little about H14T and even when you do find information it is difficult to know which boat they are talking about. If there is anyone on here with some H14T experience, should I be concentrating on the information I find about racing/sailing the H16 or is the H14 information still valid.

6. Any other go fast tips? I am loving the boat but always want to get better!

Thanks all any help is appreciated!! :D :D

Welcome to the forums! :D

1. I don't like to sail dead downwind with the jib, I like to go on a very broad reach so that the jib can get some wind on it.

2. The luff telltales will never fly straight as the wind flows differently there than elsewhere.

3. Make sure that you have a bearing cup in the mast base, it can be a thick nylon washer or a few bottle caps. (I use about 3 bottle caps so that the mast sits very high in the base so that I can get a lot of rake.

4. I just played around with the rake, mine is on the third hole on the sidestay chain plate adjuster. My jib is on a halyard but I would suggest putting the chain plate adjuster at the top so that the jib sits as low as possible. The events that I have raced at are not fussed about that stuff, they only worry about boat weight, etc. but Hobie organized events are very much one-design and do not allow for racing with the jib.

5. The H14T is similar to the H16 setup, the classic H14 setup has a very loose rig whereas the 16 has a taught rig and the jib sits rather low. After messing around with different configurations you'll figure out which works best for you.

6. Lots of mast rake, correct weight placement and have a great time!

Enjoy it, they are amazing little boats! :D