Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 4:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Along with a good trailer I was given a Hobie 14. Today I explored the biggest soft spot. I think she is done. Would someone kindly confirm my diagnosis?

Soft spots are one thing, but this delamination is unlike what I've seen so far. The inner fiberglass and core are intact, but there is about a 1/2 inch gap between the core and the out fiberglass skin, and they're sprung apart. There is no way I can make contact between the whole of the delaminate outer with the face of the core. Sure, in some spots I can get contact but then the gap gets worse elsewhere. It's like the inner fiberglass and core have shrunk substantially or the outside fiberglass skin has expanded. This has happened over a 1 foot by 4 foot area. There is a pronounced bulge here; the lines certainly don't mirror those of the other hull. Only this area appears distorted.

Sure, I could cut out the entire outer section and recreate it from scratch. I'm not convinced it's worth the effort since there are other spots too. Maybe I should just get on with reworking the trailer into a transport for our kayaks.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 4:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Inject with epoxy and then screw a bunch of wood screws directly into the hull to pull the skins together and compress the laminate. After the epoxy cures, remove the screws and fill the holes with putty. If the ouside skin is the one that needs to move, you could also lay the hull on its side and use sand bags to hold it down against the inside smin. These seem like the only possible repair methods that might be worth attempting. You definitely need to compress the skins together somehow.

Otherwise, I agree, the hulls are done.

sm