Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Howdy Hobie's! Just wanted to say thanks to the many forum users over the last two weeks. I have bought a 1989 Hobie 14 with trailer for $50 locally and have been going over it one step at a time. The sailing jargon (language) is still a barrier to me, but I laugh and try to figure out what y'all are actually saying.
I've purchased a new comp tip to replace the broken one it came with. Pulling out the old didn't work, but cutting off excess length and collapsing what remained in the main got it out. Cleaned up and ready for glue and install this week. The old foam plug is still in the main solidly and is about 1-2 inches below comp tip when fully test fitted.

My question is do I need to remove this one just to put in a new one? I figure the gap can be filled with expanding foam to seal the mast from water. Am I right, or should the old foam plug be removed and moved further down mast?

One of my shroud lines was snapped, so I purchased two new ones and they are a thicker diameter than the original. Is this just new manufacture differences over what was the standard 31 years ago? I haven't tried putting them on yet as the mast assembly hasn't been completed yet.

I have an assembly manual and have been utilizing it to learn the lingo and see how everything is assembled. So far, so good. Solid hulls, good deck and trampoline lacing, straight mast and clean unscarred rudders. It appears the cat is all original including a great sail with battens.

Another question, is there supposed to be a teflon wafer under the mast where it steps into the base? It appears the the base of the mast just sits in this and hasn't had anything there by the wear on them.

Thanks again for all the help this forum provides. I'm going along one step at a time so as to be as confident in having a safe cat as I can, but with a time crunch as I want to have this ready for a maiden voyage by the end of this month on Cape Cod seashore before the summer is gone. I don't think I could wait another year to get wet.