Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all, I had a great time yesterday taking my Getaway out for the first time!

I had a couple questions.

First, I am confused a bit about the jib. The forestay wire attaches through the adjuster (the piece with holes in it and a Y at the top) via a Clevis pin, correct? Then a shackle connects the jib grommet to the same adjuster, correct? A picture here would be awesome, the parts guide and setup videos don’t have detail on this.

Second, the jib clew - does it use a shackle and then connect to the jib hook? When furled, is a different snap hook used to connect to that small loop of line? A picture would help here as well!

I probably have a few more questions, but that’s it for now. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

luvdunhill wrote:
Hi all, I had a great time yesterday taking my Getaway out for the first time!

I had a couple questions.

First, I am confused a bit about the jib. The forestay wire attaches through the adjuster (the piece with holes in it and a Y at the top) via a Clevis pin, correct? Then a shackle connects the jib grommet to the same adjuster, correct? A picture here would be awesome, the parts guide and setup videos don’t have detail on this.

Second, the jib clew - does it use a shackle and then connect to the jib hook? When furled, is a different snap hook used to connect to that small loop of line? A picture would help here as well!

I probably have a few more questions, but that’s it for now. Thanks!

Page 18-19 of the Assembly manual show the forestay attachment. https://media.hobie.com/digital_assets/ ... l_2019.pdf
and yes, a clevis is used at the Y, and a shackle is used to attach the two adjuster pieces. That same shackle can be used to directly shackle the jib tack. You may prefer (I did) to use a small length of lashing to go from the jib tack grommet down to that shackle so you can tighten more or less for the day's wind. The main adjustment, though, has to be done before raising the mast. I liked a really tight jib luff to help point so I had the top lashing line shorter than most. Play with it with the mast down. You will be amazed at how much that dacron can stretch along the luff if you leave it too loose.

Page 24 sorta shows that the twin jib sheet blocks are shackled to the jib clew. You can use the same shackle to attach/detach the loop of line and jib sheet blocks. I used a snap shackle to make it quick (don't use a carabiner since it may not take the load). You can improve those systems a lot to make them easier for you--play with it, that's half the fun.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

tpdavis473 wrote:
a clevis is used at the Y, and a shackle is used to attach the two adjuster pieces.

Oh, I got this wrong. Are you saying the shackle goes between the furler assembly and the adjuster? I used another Clevis pin there.

https://imgur.com/gallery/JLRQ88E

tpdavis473 wrote:
Play with it with the mast down.

I think I would like to be able to flake the jib to store it (with the wire inside it, it doesn’t easily store alongside the main sail) so removing the jib head to forestay would be nice. Is there something that would be strong enough to attach to the jib head that could be removed? Here is what it looks like now:

https://imgur.com/gallery/aXtPKMh

tpdavis473 wrote:
Page 24 sorta shows that the twin jib sheet blocks are shackled to the jib clew. You can use the same shackle to attach/detach the loop of line and jib sheet blocks. I used a snap shackle to make it quick (don't use a carabiner since it may not take the load). You can improve those systems a lot to make them easier for you--play with it, that's half the fun.

I see a hole in the end, so is that the same part that attaches to the mast tang (20700001)? I don’t see it mentioned on the part guide, or am I missing something obvious?

https://media.hobie.com/digital_assets/ ... Parts1.pdf

Once you get the mast and furler up, do you retention the side shrouds? I am not sure how much tension there should be. I suppose I could use the halyard line to pull down a bit to aid in tensioning them?

Thank you so much!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't see the forestay in the first photo-must be hidden in there somewhere. But to be clear. there needs to be steel all the way from the bridle all the way to the mast. Specifics of how it is all put together are not important (shackle, clevis...). One new owner didn't attach the forestay and used the jib tack instead of the forestay ... didn't work and was dismasted and ripped up the jib.

Most people just leave the jib furled along the forestay and don't remove it after first install. Faster and the jib is stored nicely that way (with or without the snorkel (but without the snorkel you have to shade it in storage)). I would not recommend dismounting the jib each time, but you could if you insist, just use a big enough bow shackle and use a different adjuster hole to account for the extra length.

Unlike a trimaran, rig tension isn't a huge deal on a catamaran. The lee shroud is always going to have some slack (especially with a plastic boat held together with trampoline tension). You do have to balance the boat fore-aft with rake, so the length of the forestay is important. But I never spent any time tension or retentioning the shrouds (Set and forget near the bottom hole for my boat). In fact, once I got the boat balanced, I left furler attached to the jib and forestay and used the bridle to attach the furler when raising the mast (I did have to use the trailer winch and spinnaker halyard to achieve the tension, though). Got rid of the crap rings Hobie provides and used ring dings to make my life easier. I was a trailer sailor; beach guys have to do something different.

Nothing is cast in stone, so you can do pretty much anything you want to do as long as there is something to hold the mast up and not let it fall back down. That means solid shrouds and steel from front crossbar up to the mast attachment. Forestay keeps it from falling down behind, shrouds keep it from falling either side, Shrouds keep it from falling down in front (assuming that they are short enough).

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

tpdavis473 wrote:

That diagram on Pg 24 must be wrong. The bow shackle won’t fit through the clip that way. It seems that shackle just is missing from the part diagram all together. The larger one with the retainer hole (that is used on the mast) won’t fit through the sail grommet.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Doesn't matter what you use to attach the jib sheets to the jib clew. If the shackle you have doesn't fit, get a different shackle that does. Make a soft shackle for that--that's what I use on my current boat. Nice things about a soft shackle is they are light and cheap if you make it yourself and they won't shake out if the jib is flapping because the sheet got uncleated. Here's a video that shows an easy soft shackle...on your boat, though, use 2 or 3 mm dyneema line that you can get from Amazon. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU_mmdbQeCQ&t=464s

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II