Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Open water sailing?
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 8:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm almost afraid to post this, but then again, I figure people here know the capabilities of small catamarans.

I've been planning on sailing my Getaway to Isle Royale on Lake Superior and circumnavigating the island, in late July or early August. This trip involves a 22 mile crossing of the channel between Minnesota and the island.
My 30 yo daughter and 9 yo granddaughter want to come with. We would all be in drysuits with EPRIBS on each of us. I've been sailing cats for 30 years, including on the Great Lakes, Chesapeake Bay, and once in the Atlantic.

I posted this on the Isle Royale site, asking about things to see. The focus of the responses became the trip over the channel, and how dangerous it was. Very negative and in some cases, really hostile. This has really shaken my confidence. I'm a safe sailor, and a confident sailor, and I know none of these people have any real idea of what they are talking about, but they are now in my head.

I live in northern Illinois and have sailed on Lake Michigan many times, and a couple of the other great lakes. I'm familiar with our weather patterns and have a flexible schedule, a weather radio, and a motor capable of the crossing if need be. I'm aware that Lake Superior gets big storms, but July and August are pretty tame. I've been messaging with an acquaintance who did this exact trip last year on a Sunfish, and he says to not let them get to me.

Oddly, the actual circumnavigation concerned me more than the crossing, because lee shores are where boats mostly get into trouble. But people kayak around the island all the time with small concern.

So, do we have any people familiar with the weather patterns around Isle Royale? I know the waves get steep and the water is cold at the best of times. Am I really risking an Edmund Fitzgerald class storm popping out of nowhere with no warning by the weather service in July? I've gotten sudden squalls on Lake Michigan. Unpleasant but not really dangerous.

Too many canoes and kayaks

Post subject: Re: Open water sailing?
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 12:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

lol... squalls pop up anytime and thats a long haul. if you are adventurous go for it. But have someone on standby in case you need a rescue.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 8:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hobie16 wrote:
squalls pop up anytime

Are you speaking from personal experience of the waters near Isle Royale?

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 4:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Does it matter whether it’s GL, intercostal or inland? Rule #1: everything is broken, you just don’t know it! Rule 2: have a rescue plan rule 3: see rule 1.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 5:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Be prepared.
I carry a 30m of line and cable ties, I sometimes tie off my trapeze wires to act as a backup shrouds, the worst then that can happen is the mast breaks at the hounds. A jury rig is then pretty essential if rescue is not available hence all the extra line and cable ties. Furthermore, I carry an anchor. Any sea passage will potentially involve significant swell so I remove the forward trampoline which vastly improves the boats ability to ride or pierce the waves.
Tape up all your clevis pins and check the shackle that holds the forestay and shrouds.
Communication wise I have my mobile phone and hand held marine radio.
There's one risk which needs careful consideration: man overboard. I've had a crew member fall off three times, and I myself once. When it was me I held onto the mainsheet like no tomorrow which capsized the boat and I was then able to board and right the boat.
Always give estimate of next arrival time or communication time to someone ashore.
Although not the purists' approach I try and sail in company of other power boats or motor cruisers.
This is a great thread for us all to share tips and experience.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 8:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks, ashus! Some great advice!
Where do you sail? It occurs to me that sailing in some bays and harbors like the Chesapeake, Puget Sound, and SF Bay, puts people further offshore than I will be in this channel.

We'll be in drysuits, with EPIRBS on each of us, a SAT radio, a marine VHF with WX, deck compass and 2 GPS. Plus of course, in PFDs with strobes and flares. I have an anchor, will bring a sea anchor, and will only attempt the crossing with a perfect weather forecast. I've got a Torqeedo 1003 with a brand new 915wh battery.

Some man overboard practice is certainly a great idea. My sailing club requires every skipper to be competent in it on every boat they qualify on, but I have to confess, I haven't done it on my Hobie lately. Something to teach my daughter too, in case I go over!

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 4:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bob, I'm sure folks that are hostile are just remembering the ballad of the edmund fitzgerald. Your speed of advance is likely to be 4-5 kts so you'll be 4-5 hours to get there; not a long time...figure another hour or so to circumnavigate the island and another 4-5 hours to come back. Reef when you see lightning in the west. Practice getting in and out of the drysuits while on board since it is very likely that you won't need them that time of year and you will likely want to shed layers. The squalls don't come out of nowhere, just have someone assigned to look west for thunderheads. There is at least one guy who has done multiple everglades challenges in his getaway...in comparison what you are planning is just a walk in the park. Whats the definition of adventure?

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 7:28 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

What your proposing is completely reasonable. Here are some recommendations:

Things to do ahead of time:
-Right the boat with your crew. Ideally ballast the boat up to simulate your camping loads.
-Add reefing points to your sail
-Practice setting, sailing and tacking reefed and shaking out reefs on the water
-Find really cool places to check out around the island. Sailing for 5 hours isn't that exciting, but your destination is about as good as it gets.

Things to consider:
-There is a nice marina on the island with power and electricity. Consider spending a night there.
-The channel leading into the marina is breathtaking and has plenty of places to take shelter from a storm or to spend the night.
-Boats are hard to push up the beach. Consider a set of pvc sliders like those offered with the 21SC.
-Biting flies suck. Come prepared. While sailing the Apostle Islands my wife and I donned wetsuits and headnets on a warm calm July day just to keep the flies off. My dog didn't have a wetsuit so we wrapped him in a towel.
-Having a flexible schedule is one of the best things you can do for your safety. I frequently delay, relocate or cancel trips if the weather isn't right.
-Apostle Islands are really awesome. There are sea caves, cliffs and rocky stepped shores, sandy beaches and tons of lighthouses. Consider this as an alternate if it looks to stormy at Isle Royal.

-Joe
Hobie 21 SC, Hobie 18, Hobie 16 et. al.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 11:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks, Thom and Joe. It's nice to hear some encouraging words from people who know what they are talking about!
Yeah, a friend, Matt, on the Sunfish site, did this exact trip last year on his Sunfish. He is "Adventures in Reach" on youtube, and has videos of his trip, and others.

We plan on a leisurely trip, 7 to 10 days, but more if needed. Completely flexible timing. We plan on camping and hiking, hanging out, playing cards and generally being slothy. We are having a "getaway" (har har har)!

We plan on being in drysuits for both crossings, and anytime the weather is anything but beautiful. EPIRBS on us anytime we are on the boat.
I put reef points in a few years ago, and use them for solo big winds and gusty days when grandkids are on board. I reef before setting out, but I can reef on the water if I need to. I tend to err on the conservative side. The boat actually sails well when reefed.

My daughter is a wannabe beekeeper, so she's getting us net hat covers for the black flies! Plus gallons of DEET.

We are doing a trial run on Lake Michigan at Illinois Beach State Park. 2 nights with sailing during the day and then camping at night with just the stuff we have on the boat. Will practice man overboard (including with my daughter at the helm in case I'm the one overboard). Going to practice capsizes too, but probably on the local lake with wife standing by in kayak until my granddaughter has experienced it a couple of times. Going to try out a couple of different beaching options.

I'm planning on an Apostle Islands trip later, maybe later this summer, maybe next year, maybe part of a Sunfish flotilla with Matt.
My daughter actually kayaked with us (in her own boat) through the sea caves when she was 5. She grew up in kayaks and Hobies.
Now, we are definitely going to have to check out the marina. I was only planning to go there in case I needed to charge my Torqeedo battery, but it sounds great.

I'm renting a Garmin Explorer Plus. I just saw it also has SAT weather, so I'm considering buying it. SAT communications, PLB, GPS and WX all in one.

Thanks again! I've been investigating more about the weather patterns up there. Lake Superior is not to be trifled with, but it's also safely sailable with care, proper equipment, precautions, and situational awareness.