Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 1:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Trying to plan sailing days.....want to avoid getting dunked and just have fun for now.

At what wind speeds do you realistically start getting risky of flying / pitching/ turtling? I picked a low wind day to get out first - 8-12mph range forecasted.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 5:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

20mph plus is where I have to pay attention, but I sail in the Gulf of Mexico and I never have 20mph without 3 to 4 foot waves. It was never the wind that almost capsized me but rather being on top of a wave running parallel with it when a gust hits and I have to surf down the back quickly or let go of the main sheet fast allowing the boat to slide off the back of the wave. Surfing down the front of the wave has resulted in the boat almost pitch polling and coming to a sudden stop. I have been lucky so far. I weigh 215lbs so I have a decent amount of ballast built in. 15mph wind is very safe but still exciting. I sailed Friday in 20mph winds and on the seven mile downwind to the St. Marks lighthouse I buried the nose four times causing 14yoa grand daughter to grab a handhold to keep from going off the front. The roughest one she actually grabbed the mast when the boat stood on it's nose. I have never recorded a gps speed over 13.8mph I think because I have no sheltered/flat water unless there is no wind.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 8:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you. That's helpful. I know on my sunfish it was easy to dunk in much over 12-15. LOL. Most of the time it was more a matter of a boom swinging around on me though. Not a problem with these.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 7:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm on a lake with large waves at around 15kts. If it gets up to 17 kts then I have to start to pay close attention.

18kts I'm starting to hold on and plus that I need someone for extra ballast or I can keep it upright

I'm around 185.

But just remember dont cleat in the main sheet holding in your hand. yes it's hard but you will be thankful in high winds.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 10:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I usually get capsized in medium wind when I'm not paying attention. I've never been blown over from too much wind. I get knocked over when I'm relaxed and a wind shift gybes me. One time, my wife and I got knocked down pulling away from a pier in downtown Madison WI. The wind came over the top of the buildings and caught the top of the sail, instant gybe, instant displeased (and wet) wife! :lol:

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

As others have said, upper teens is where you start to have to pay attention. It does depend a lot on how much you/your passenger(s) weight as well as the wave conditions. It's much more likely that you'll flip in an accidental gybe than simply due to wind speed.

One tip I have found in higher wind is to rake the mast back by attaching the stays to different holes in the adjusters. You'll lose some speed on light wind days by doing so, so be sure to move the mast back to more of a vertical position on light wind days, but it does help a lot when it's really ripping. Luckily, it's an easy adjustment to make.

If you're so inclined, I've found that adding a traveler really helps to enable you to sail faster while leveling out the boat out and minimizing flying a hull => flipping, when on a reach or sailing downwind. That has been the best mod to my boat that I have made so far, for sure.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:01 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

leemark607 wrote:
Trying to plan sailing days.....want to avoid getting dunked and just have fun for now.

At what wind speeds do you realistically start getting risky of flying / pitching/ turtling? I picked a low wind day to get out first - 8-12mph range forecasted.

I've never been smart enough to check the wind speed before heading on the water. I've always just gone with my observations, if it was super windy, I wouldn't sail.

That being said, if there's enough wind to make it worth sailing, there's probably at some point going to be enough wind to pitch you over. At least that's been my experience.