Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello to the Hobie forum (sorry forgot an introduction),
Tigger from downunder here, have bought my first Hobie cat which I need some help to sort out.

If someone could tell me what this rope setup is meant to control on my 2002 Tiger that would be much appreciated.
Basically rope goes from cleat just forward of dagger under tramp to front block (under beam) then to block under rear beam, it then repeats on the other side with a block hanging on the line between 2 rear blocks.

I have mast spanner control on boom.
I have two line spinnaker control but maybe this is for single line but I think not??
I have jib traveller limiter going to small fixed stainless cleat on rear edge front beam.

Then the question of the crazing on hull edge (looks worse in the photos), only one gunnel of Port bow area (outer edge only). Is this common? possible causes?? Still feels solid to the hand bump.

Thanks all. :)

Image Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here's a guess...
It looks like there is a block hanging near the rear crossbar??? My guess is it is your Jib sheet. Pull the block under the boat to the front crossbar and see if it connect to your jib somehow. It makes sense someones idea of getting another line off the deck and under the tramp.

See Page 18.
https://static.hobiecat.com/digital_ass ... 1583705638

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Cork Guy,

Thanks for the reply, seems a bit quiet here.

I have the jib sheets on a takeaway into front beam.

In desperation I rang the shop who sold the boat originally "Scott Lovig Hobie" and he said it would be someones Cunningham setup, which makes sense as I don't have the side block/cleat on either side of the mast.

So I have it rigged up for now, two tails of rope drop down through tramp from Cunningham blocks, through double block tied to striker then attach to that central block that travels stern to bow. So you can adjust luff tension from either side and if out on trapeze.
I think the standard setup would be better with less friction and easier to gain purchase on the mast.

But for now it will do and I can get the old girl out and wet again. First time for me :D

Cheers Tigger

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hello Tigger,

If you are looking for some tips I found watching Joseph Bennett's HOBIE TIGER/F18 TUTORIAL videos on Youtube to be very informative.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u94wATh ... xg&index=2

Cheers,