Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Is Hobie planning to offer the 360 drive for their inflatables (i.e. the ills)? I love my i11s but have encountered many instances where the 360 would come in handy.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:34 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
P.S. it sounds like next summer will bring a breakaway-only drive avail (180 rather than 360).

Yes on the MD 180 we have kick up fins... available with new boats now. Spring is likely the earliest we will see them for sale in the parts catalog.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:37 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I don't see it on the i11s...if you go sideways over 0.0002 mph you're going in the water. Don't ask me how I know!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Now Reason, I think you're exaggerating a tad. I've been in windy conditions and have been blown sideways a number of times (more than 1.5 kts according to my fish-finder's GPS) and have been happy with my i11s's stability. After over a year of consistent use every weekend or more, I am more than happy with it. But I can see use in a 360 drive for those situations where I'm trailing a wire basket of catch, where it tends to pull to one side. Not a necessity, but it would certainly be a convenience. Anyway, once my i11s starts needing multiple repairs, I'd hope to be able to buy another one that has a 360 drive by that time.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:05 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Causemoi wrote:
Now Reason, I think you're exaggerating a tad. I've been in windy conditions and have been blown sideways a number of times (more than 1.5 kts according to my fish-finder's GPS) and have been happy with my i11s's stability.

I've been in some rough sideways stuff in my i11s as well, that's not what I'm talking about.

I accepted a tow from a friend once in a torqueedo equipped outback. I was holding onto the tow rope, and he set off at a crawl...thought I had the rope looped through my bow D ring, but did not.

Within 10ft of being towed sideways at a snail's pace I ended up in the water. There is zero secondary stability on our flat board, and once that leading edge starts dipping it's game over. I imagine that experience is more akin to propelling yourself sideways on a 360 than being blown sideways by wind/wave action.

Just my 2 cents. I would love to be proven wrong...the maneuverability of the 360 drive looks absolutely amazing, and would open up all sorts of new fishing scenarios for me both fresh and salt.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ah yes, now there I agree. An almost identical situation happened to me and I lost two poles, tackle box, tackle and other misc. stuff. So far it's the only time it happened and it happened because someone offered to tow me out of a stormy situation. I will ride out a storm next time instead of accepting a tow.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:44 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I don't think they will disclose the plans this early .

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:49 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

daft wrote:
If the tow sideforce is exerted above deck, it should roll the boat so that the siderail catches and trips over oncoming water. The sideways 360 should do the opposite underneath and roll the boat away from the oncoming water, giving a streamline effect.

Still, I hope Hobie inflatables don't incorporate every expensive frill. Unlike the rigids, I don't think their inflatables have competition that requires feature-mania response. I just ordered a very sit-down oriented inflato board for $500, but of course w/o drive. Worse than i11s for fishermen, but a temptation if the i11s price escalates.

I hope you're right!

Boat control is everything, esp in freshwater. If you don't fish you wouldn't understand...actually, if you don't fish I don't know why you're even on the water :)