Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 8:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have always been reluctant to tether because I picture the tether cord getting wrapped around my neck in a chaotic exit. Does this not concern anyone?

I keep a satellite beacon tethered to my PFD at all times. That or a VHF radio where appropriate seems an easy peace-of-mind for unexpected boat seperations.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

recycle wrote:
I have always been reluctant to tether because I picture the tether cord getting wrapped around my neck in a chaotic exit. Does this not concern anyone?
Not specifically neck, but entanglement in general is something that I think about. I think more in terms of the legs getting wrapped up in something.

On my wave ski's paddle leash, I cover the leash with pool noodle. Looks funny, but it floats and entanglement is no longer a concern - and I've been through the spin cycle more that a few times with it.

On my surf ski, I just attach the leg leash to a jack line running from the cockpit to the bow eye and rig it so it is stretched out along that line until I fall in.

On a sailboat, there are more lines than just a tether to get entangled with: sheets, halyards, and so-forth.

Some kayakers and kite surfers seem partial to either a pull knife or some sort of serrated knife carried in the life vest. I am guessing that is an effort to address entanglement issues.

(anybody want to buy a slightly-used AI SpinKit?)
eMail: [email protected]

Last edited by PeteCress on Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

recycle wrote:

Of course it does, but how many people have you heard of who died from "tether strangulation" vs. people dying by getting separated from their boat?

Here is the latest fatality--a paddle boarder from Miami practicing for a race on the Hood River in Oregon across from WA state. He was wearing neither a PFD or leash.
Quote:
HOOD RIVER, Ore. (KOIN) — Search and rescue crews from the Hood River Sheriff’s Office on Wednesday found the body of a Florida man who was reported missing August 21.

Officials said 20-year-old Andres Pombo was paddling boarding with friends. They launched from Viento State Park along I-84, with the intention of paddling to Hood River. Witnesses said Pombo wanted to paddle to the Washington shore and he split from the group.

At 3:30 p.m., Pombo’s paddle board and gear were found floating mid-channel in the Columbia River. A video camera was attached to the board and investigators were able to determine Pombo fell off his board in part of the river known as near Swell City.

His body was found August 26 not far from where he was last seen. Authorities said he did not have a personal flotation device or tether at the time.

It is your choice.

Finally, sea kayakers are discouraged from tethering because sea kayaks can be tossed around by big waves and the potential for entanglement is much greater than on sail boats.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chekika wrote:
Finally, sea kayakers are discouraged from tethering because sea kayaks can be tossed around by big waves and the potential for entanglement is much greater than on sail boats.
This is the first time I've heard that one.

With surf skis there is a phenomenon called "BlowAway"..... Basically, once you lose contact with a surf ski it is so light (and not filled with water like a kayak) that the slightest ghost of a breeze will blow it away faster than anybody can swim.

"Real" surf ski paddlers (as in Australia and South Africa) seem to rely on footstraps across the tops of the rudder pedals. You go over, at least one foot can be kept hooked into a strap.

I can't feel much in my legs and motor control is on the way out...and, besides, I'm not a "Real" surf ski paddler... so I use a leg leash - although I recognize that it is not an optimal solution......... OTOH, neither are the foot straps IMHO because if, for some reason, your foot fails to hold the strap and you can't grab the ski fast enough you can die.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

PeteCress wrote:
Chekika wrote:
This is the first time I've heard that one.

Really? Maybe check out this discussion: http://www.seakayakforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2211 Surf ski paddlers have an altogether different situation from sea kayakers.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:59 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

PeteCress wrote:
With surf skis there is a phenomenon called "BlowAway"..... Basically, once you lose contact with a surf ski it is so light (and not filled with water like a kayak) that the slightest ghost of a breeze will blow it away faster than anybody can swim.

That'll happen to any of our smaller / lighter boats - including the Islands. Falling off a kayak doesn't mean it'll be filled with water either - certainly a sit-on-top won't.

I've been repeatedly impressed with just how fast my TI travels with the sail *furled* on a windy day. I've seen it floating along at 2.5-3 MPH on many occasions, I know I definitely won't be swimming that fast. My nephew and his friend quickly drifted away after jumping off and wound up using the tether to haul themselves back to the TI.

I don't have the same issues a lot here do, since I'm only on inland lakes - wait long enough and I"ll be on shore along with my yak - but there are a few lakes I may go to that are big enough it could be a very long wait. Not to mention going out in cold weather. So I do have a tether though I don't always use it. If I think conditions are going to be especially rough, or I'm going to be moving around a lot (hiking out) I'll strap it on. Right now I use a paddleboard leash strapped to arm or ankle (I prefer the feel of the ankle and it tangles up less, but do wonder about being "dragged feet-first"!) though I've thought about getting a PFD with tether attachment point.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

RandomJoe wrote:
Right now I use a paddleboard leash strapped to arm or ankle (I prefer the feel of the ankle and it tangles up less, but do wonder about being "dragged feet-first"!) though I've thought about getting a PFD with tether attachment point.
That's what I use on my surf ski, except that I attach it just below the knee.

Dragged? I went over the falls on a 5-6' wave on the bar off of Brigantine Inlet some years back and got dragged all the way to the channel going in to Brigantine Bay. Felt like one of these spinning bass lures. Totally straightened out a perfectly-good coiled SUP tether... -) No injuries, but I think there could have been....

I am warming up the the solution that the Weta people recommend: chest harness connected to the tether with a quick-release shackle plus regular practice pulling the release cord on the shackle.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Definitely bring a safety knife with you on a sailing boat, so many lines for potential tangles never mind fishing lines etc!

Totally agree RandomJoe, Wind drift with furled sail on windy days (which is when we like to go out) can easily be up to 6kph which means you will never be able to catch up while swimming (certainly not in a drysuit with PFD)

So IMO tethering is a must in dodgy conditions the more I think about it (doesnt count for surf landings). Also of course wearing a PFD, Safety Knive and most importantly VHF attached to PFD should you have to cut the tether and are drifting away on your own.

Blog: http://www.irishrockpoolaquarium.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have this awesome 9cm long tool attached to my wader belt (it uses really strong velcro which hooks onto a part which loops around the belt). Search EEZYCUT TRILOBITE on ebay

In the highly unlikely event that my tether gets tangled, I have a ready solution.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:06 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a coiled surfboard leash that I attach to my ankle and to the forward seat padeye. Because it is coiled, it pretty much stays out of the way and I think there is little chance that it will get wrapped around my neck based on my experiences so far.