Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Middle Harbour this time on a cold (15C) but otherwise clear Saturday, with our family meeting up with some of my wife's friends (lending one of them our Revo 11) for a paddle/sail from Tunks Park Northbridge to Spit Bridge for lunch, then a little further east under the bridge to Chinaman's Beach, then back.

Winds were a bit variable, but we got some nice sailing in and the water was strangely warm. First time launching off the trailer at a boat ramp, so that was an experience I thankfully didn't mess up. We were a group of bright yellow boats with the paddlers plying a reasonably straight line while we zigged and zagged happily as the winds were shifted around by the various bays and headlands. Some lovely winter sailing, though I must get my wife to understand that sailing involves some time heading rather indirectly the way we want to go. She still thinks I'm indulging in self-centred whimsy and there surely must be a way to set the sails so we can go straight from A to B.

Under the Spit Bridge at high water with about a half metre clear, then a little sunny beach at the marina to eat fish & chips at, then a play in the wider parts of the harbour near Chinaman's where the girls wondered at a big yacht we sailed with for while, which had their own little drone buzzing around it, filming them as they sailed! Must get one ourselves.

Then beating upwind back to Tunks Park, having a great time wringing every bit of progress out of every board - pointing up finer in the gusts, tacking at the very last minute as the girls are wondering if I've seen that giant yacht moored in our careering path. Great fun, ending with a steady pedal up the narrow bay into the teeth of a fresh souwester.

What a great day. We love this boat. We are now pretty well set up for winter sailing, with the kids in dinghy jackets and spray pants, Bob the two year old in a breathable waterproof overall over a little semi-wetsuit and I'd dug out my 30-year-old helly hansen thermals I wore when I raced kayaks - they fell to pieces that day, so I might have to invest in some dry pants.

The little bloke looks a bit gloomy in the photo, but he was having a great time.

smith

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Great post smith - looks like braving the weather certainly paid off!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That's what it's all about Brian! You just got your money's worth right there, and just think of all the other wonderful places you can go. How about dropping in on "Summer Bay" (Palm Beach) at the top end of Pittwater, knowing that just a short sail; across the water is the hidden jewel of Sydney, "The Basin", a National Park campground, complete with shallow lagoon and wildlife, like this wallaby playing in the sand.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Tony - The Basin had slipped my mind! it's a great place to go. Where would you put in, if you were me?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am unsure of the location of ramps there (but I bet there are some), but I believe the road which runs along the southern edge of the golf course ends at a beach. I remember getting aboard a friend's little cat there to attend a wedding reception at the Basin. It is a straight run across to the Basin.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Tony.