Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 6:35 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thinking about taking the plunge and going for the TI. Just wondering how the Hobie trampolines ($$$) compare with those available in the aftermarket for a little less $$$. Haven't seen any discussion here and hoping to avoid being disappointed during sailing season.

ThanX all,

Roger from NJ :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 8:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you could provide a link to the aftermarket tramps that would help. In general, I've found Hobie's high quality to be worth the extra cost over most aftermarket accessories. There have been notable exceptions, such as their motor option, but generally, they make the best accessories.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was generically referring to such options as those offered on E-Bay. I have not researched so don't know of any other suppliers in the aftermarket. However, ThanX and I'm glad to hear that Hobie's stuff is of good quality and worthy of serious consideration.

Roger from NJ :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 10:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Be VERY careful regarding the apparently ludicrously inexpensive eBay versions. It is my understanding that the material used is NOT porous "trampoline" material, but solid, and therefore impractical for use out on the water (I gather these are made by the Amish btw)

Several years ago, Austin Kayak sold suitable tramps, in a range of colours, which were about $50 a side cheaper than the Hobie ones (from memory) I bought one side in a shade of blue close to that on my TI sail, and it is a very well-made product. I particularly like the stiffening rod, which is a flattened oval in section, providing extra stiffness in the fore and aft direction. Sadly they don't show up on their website now.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 12:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

ThanX for confirming what I had already suspected. I strongly believe in the old saying " if it looks too good to be true ...... .". But I did have to ask because sometimes it takes a brainstorm in the aftermarket world to get it right.

I'm still trying to work out some details about transport in my head before I take the plunge. I need a lightweight, transportable, trailer hitch compatible cart to move a TI around the CG and too / from a nearby boat launch (less than 0.5 mi). I'm working on some designs in my head and will need to put it to paper than consult with a fabricator to see how to proceed. I plan to car top the TI to winter in Key West but use fabricated transport for short distance movements. This seems to keep me awake at night but then again I'd be awake anyway.

ThanX all. I enjoy reading about all the TI adventures here on the forum. Keep it up. Hope to join ya'll soon.

Roger from NJ

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 2:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

agree that someone could design and market a lightweight trailer that could be pulled behind on the longer drives to increase fuel efficiency and driver comfort but then be converted to a roof rack. It would have to be light enough to hoist up on the roof where it would become a rack. Maybe the wheels removed for storage in the vehicle. This would allow conversion when you got someplace that pulling an 18 foot trailer would be a hassle, city ,national park, single track logging road etc.
Someplaces I go are boat trailer parking only and others trailers are taboo to park. This would allow either.

I have seen some creative aluminum fab guys on the forum. Get after this!

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 10:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Got mine from Salt City Sailing. Quality product. Used 1 year so far. https://saltcitysailing.com/collections/all

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 12:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Kainoa wrote:
Got mine from Salt City Sailing. Quality product. Used 1 year so far. https://saltcitysailing.com/collections/all

Thanks for that! My memory failed me... it was indeed Sal Lake City Sailing where I got my blue tramp.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just ordered a set. I’ll post some pics installed. I purchased the blue one.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

@bosab

Yakima makes a trailer based off their roof racks. It's not exactly the same as you are imagining, since the trailer itself doesn't go on the roof, but their trailer is 100% compatible with anything they make for rooftops. So you could get a single set of cradles and move them around.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hii, Good trampolines that come straight from trusted brands are super safe and have good quality. They also come with warranties. On the other hand, there are trampolines you can get after the original ones. These are cheaper, you can make them the way you want, and they work well for older models. It's like choosing between really good quality and something that fits your style and budget!