Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 1:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rudder Lines
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I took my TI into the dealer yesterday to have all of my rudder lines replaced as well as the bungees that keep them from tangling. I found out that the previous owner had used the wrong line to replace the one for raising/lowering the rudder. I also found out that you should really not store anything inside the boat when you are flipping it upside down to store it on land, load it on a vehicle, etc. Anything you put inside could potentially tangle the lines. The same goes for the electrical wires for the Lowrance, etc. if they are not installed properly. Just thought I'd pass this on. Seems obvious but I never worried about it until now.

Post subject: Re: Rudder Lines
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Diver, this may not apply to you, but sometimes tangling may also be a result of a twisted rudder down control cable.
Check your pulleys inside the hull for the rudder lines and see if they are twisted (you can reach under the gunwales and pull them to the aft hatch to see them).
These stiff cables to can be twisted and the "down control handle" pressing against the hull may be preventing them from untwisting.

If this is the issue, then it only takes a minute to fix:

Reach into the hatch and grab the pulley under the gunwale to the hatch so you can see it.
Untwisted it by rotating the pulley.
Make sure the "down control handle" is free to rotate in whatever direction it wants to go while the pulley is rotated.
Important: If the handle is not allowed to rotate then the twist will remain in the cable.

Repeat a couple times until the pulley settles into an untwisted position. The cable is a bit like a garden hose when it comes to twisting. It is surprisingly stiff.