Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:59 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The goal is to sail to the southern end of the "green" island 2.75 miles NE of Wise Point ramp. You're sailing a 2021 AI, 13mph NE winds, no motor. The Atlantic ocean is beyond the barrier island to the east. Tide is low. A mild, overcast, 80F July mid-morning.

ImageScreen Shot 2021-07-31 at 6.50.02 PM by Larry Johnson, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:46 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

A short trip of just a few miles.... I have not sailed these waters but Cape Charles can get strong currents. I would simply time your trip to go with the currents (north east) and return with (south west). Launch via boat ramp can bit tricky if the current is ripping in the canal. Assuming slack current (no current) Peddle NE in the canal till clear. Once out of the canal tack NE and enjoy the sail including down wind run on the return.

Advice: If you sail coastal waters with moderate tidal currents....get an outboard....makes a difference... a life saver.... in my experience.

Hobie TI 2016 - Offshore rig - Outboard - sold
Hobie Kona 2014
Hobie AI 2015 - sold
Hobie Rev 13 2014 - sold
Hobie Outback - 2008 - sold

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:45 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

powersjr2 wrote:
A short trip of just a few miles.... I have not sailed these waters but Cape Charles can get strong currents. I would simply time your trip to go with the currents (north east) and return with (south west). Launch via boat ramp can bit tricky if the current is ripping in the canal. Assuming slack current (no current) Peddle NE in the canal till clear. Once out of the canal tack NE and enjoy the sail including down wind run on the return.

Advice: If you sail coastal waters with moderate tidal currents....get an outboard....makes a difference... a life saver.... in my experience.

I attempted the trip saturday using the same approach you described, but I didn't realize the currents could be so strong. Maybe that's why I had such trouble pedaling out of the canal. I attributed it all to the wind. Tacking was useless. IHad to pedaled straight into the wind. Took forever to clear the channel. Picked up a used trolling motor yesterday. Will attempt again under less windy conditions.