Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This is my first forum post, and even though I've spent an hour browsing the forum, I'm not sure whether this question has been asked. Apologies if it's a duplicate.

I have been waiting to buy a Hobie TI and trailer for a good while now, and before I had a good enough idea of what trailer to buy, I found a great deal on a TI this week, so I bought it. It's sitting in my garage now, begging to be taken out, but I don't have a trailer yet!

I'd like to get something that I can be comfortable towing at 70 mph on the highway, so a pretty solid construction. (I live in Tennesse, and it's likely I'll make a couple of yearly trips to the Carolinas to hit the waves.) The brands I've had recommended to me by a friend are Genesis (Michigan) and Load Rite (Pennsylvania). Ideally there will be a dealer within 150 miles or so from which I can pick the trailer up.

Anyone have recommendations on where to look and what to buy? Is there a comprehensive trailering guide somewhere on this forum? Thanks for your advice!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am pretty new to the forum too.

Hobie Dealers sell Trailex aluminum trailers, Trailex has an arrangement with HOBIE. They may also sell other brands, like eazy loader.
Some folks are big Do It Yourself (DIY) and have Harbor Freight trailers with very long arm extensions, others have converted jet ski trailers, or bunk boat trailers.

I bought a used trailer and after I did, I started asking the following questions.

1. do I want a trailer made out of aluminum, or galvanized steel?
2. Trailers come bare bones, you may want to add a winch and trailer dolly, I added all of that and a centering roller on the rear.
3. Are you cozy with the position of the trailer lights, and does the boat stick out from the trailer, or do you want a trailer that is the full length of the boat? I thought all trailex trailers were the same, they are not. Some TI's don't hang over quite as much.
4. Do you want large 12" wheels or can you go with 8", Galvanized trailer wheels?
5. Do you need leaf springs or can you get along with out them
6. Salt or Fresh water.....may want to add bearing buddies for grease touch ups (no matter the conditions)
7. Are the lights on the trailer LED or incandescent? LED are supposed to be brighter.

I bought a used 16 ' trailex for my TI cause the previous owner had a small car and the hitch height was too low even with a 4" riser. He bought a easy loader trailer which gave him more tongue clearance. The boat does overhang the trailer and in retrospect, I'd like to put a couple of more feet on the trailer, but I will work with it for a while to see what's what. I have not trailered at night, so I don't know how uncomfortable I'd be with the boat poking behind the trailer without lights at the very back.

Good Luck with your search

70 mph with a trailer sounds a bit speedy. I am a bit of a slow poke when I pull a trailer.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:53 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have a '14 TI and the Trailex SUT-450-AID96. I cut down the 96" crossbars, but left room to mount a carry box on the left side and Hobie Dolly on the right.

This is my 3rd Trailex trailer with 8" wheels and I've never have had a problem with either the trailer or 8" wheels traveling at Interstate speeds - 70mph +. Plus the Trailex people are very helpful and accommodating to work with.

In lieu of the typical winch I mounted a SkyWinch which uses 3/8-1/2" line......no unwinding the winch line with a spinning winch handle, etc. I also added their bow stop/carry handle to support the bow for storage.