Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello everybody, I've been reading this forum for some time now. I already own a pro angler14 and think I'm going to pick up a 2015 tandem island in dune. Currently I haul the pro angler in the bed of my truck with a bed extender but I would like to be able to haul both. I have been leaning to having a custom trailer built from a local metal fabrication shop and was hoping with this boards input, I can have the best built trailer for all my needs. I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks SR.-22

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:02 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

You may want to look at the other posts in the Transportation / Storage forum and pick out the ideas that appeal to you as there have been many great ideas that others have come up with.

Also, here's the 1,098 match results of a search using the word "trailers".

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/search.php?keywords=trailers&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you salty dawg.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

SR-22

You and I have similar needs regarding a trailer. In my case I already have the TI and will be getting a Pro Angler soon.

I had an aluminum flat-bed trailer fabricated to my design. It is longer than the TI so no overhang to deal with. It includes a rail on front and both sides and 5 lockable tool boxes. I plan on mounting the Pro Angler above the TI using the side rails to support cross members that hold up the Pro Angler. Although the trailer looks like a plain flatbed trailer it is built to boat trailer standards and will withstand repeated dips into saltwater.

A smaller trailer (less wide) would do nicely but I also haul a broad assortment of "camping stuff" on the trailer when it is hitched to my motorhome.

I went the aluminum route because the trailer and associated loads are pulled by a small motor home and I was concerned about weight.

I do not have a photo of the thing but I will get a pic posed to the forum by the weekend.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

SR 22

As I mentioned in previous post here are two photos of the trailer I made for my TI and soon to get PA. Keep in mind that I went with the full-length flat bed approach because I need to accommodate much more than the two boats. The result is a much larger and heavier trailer than would be necessary if only the TI and PA were being hauled around. There are great examples of lighter/smaller trailers for multiple boats elsewhere on the forum.

I will need to be careful, once I mount the PA above the TI, that I don't back the trailer so far into the water that the TI floats into the structure above it that is supporting the PA.

With the above set up I can launch the TI directly from the trailer or I can haul it partway off, attach the beach dolly and launch it over soft sand or otherwise where the trailer cannot go.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That's a very versatile looking trailer. Love all the storage and the pvc pipe under the side boxes.
I'm allowing 30" of clearance for my TI under a second level for a Revo 13 and gear storage but I don't plan to ever back my steel trailer into water. Putting grid on the bottom deck rather than wood and still considering putting it on the upstairs level for storage versatility.
- chris