Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:49 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

After finally getting a new TI, I needed to convert my trailer that was set up with a homemade pvc cradles for my AI, so I'd thought Id share some photos about using unistrut because it works so well.

I learned of unistrut and the channel nuts from Youtube kayak trailer videos, so decided to use it with mine. In my case, I turned them long ways to support Hobie cradles on decking boards and just like track systems on kayaks, I can move them forward or back for the best fit. Solved the problem of having the cradle positions determined by the trailer frame. In my case, I needed to get the TI more forward on the trailer so it would fit in my garage. It also lent it self to adding 3 rollers on the back. It all worked very well!

[url]Image

Since the TI has an even hull, the v style rollers worked perfectly once spaced apart by sleeving some aluminum tubing over the 5/8 axil. Having 3 rollers spreads out the weight so there is less stress on the hull and makes it glide on much easier.

[url][URL=http://s1165.photobucket.com/user/Drewyaker/media/IMG_1749_zpsen2u7s7s.jpg.html]Image

[url][URL=http://s1165.photobucket.com/user/Drewyaker/media/IMG_1752_zpstgmfyhno.jpg.html]Image

Also added 2 pieces up front for cargo boxes.

http://www.unistrut.us/DB/PDF_Archive/No_12.pdf

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Very nice work Drew. 8)
Looks like that Unistrut would also work well cantilevered to lengthen the rear of a trailer.
I'm pretty sure that any Rhino HD rack accessories will work with Unistrut as well, offering plenty of mounting options.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, as Stringy said, very nice. I'll have to look into that system.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

really nice I am working on some ideas now. Looks great. Thanks for sharing

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

How did you mount the unistrut to the frame for the front boxes? I am looking at something like this and was planing on using one ubolt per strut I just didn't know if that would be enough.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:23 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Defy wrote:
How did you mount the unistrut to the frame for the front boxes? I am looking at something like this and was planing on using one ubolt per strut I just didn't know if that would be enough.

The Unistrut has pre made holes all along the back, so I just drilled 2: 3/8" holes through the trailer tung and bolted then down with 3 fender washers between the bolt head and the inner bottom of the strut for a good hold.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:48 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

stringy wrote:
Very nice work Drew. 8)
Looks like that Unistrut would also work well cantilevered to lengthen the rear of a trailer.
I'm pretty sure that any Rhino HD rack accessories will work with Unistrut as well, offering plenty of mounting options.

Thanks Stringy.
The strut comes it 10' or 304.8 cm so it can be mounted to trailer frames then cradles can be mover forward or back for best boat placement for any givin situation. Can quickly swap out cradle assembles if had other kayaks. For that matter, one could add more short cuts of unistrut cross ways to the long ways struts then have a PVC cradle on that.. and would be width adjustable. Even more possibilities for double decker trailers for interchangeable cargo boxes etc. The stuff is kind of like an erector set for trailering.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Nice Drew. It really looks good. Did you paint the trailer or was it already that color? Goin to mod a boat trailer and I was going to just rattle can paint it black but that blue would look great and match the ivory dune.
I would be careful with the unistrut on front holding the boxes though. That stuff isn't made to hold weight horizontally. Would also be concerned about it being supported only by the small tongue, especially if the load is uneven in the boxes.

2015 Tandem Island-ivory dune

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Could always use one of these on each side of the tongue to help support the weight a little better. Although for lifejackets and mirage drives we aren't talking about a whole lot of weight (assuming that's what he's putting in the boxes).

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Unistrut-P1458-EG-Connector-Bracket/dp/B00K6ND0OO/ref=sr_1_2?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1426532654&sr=1-2&keywords=unistrut+90+degree+bracket

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Grandpa wrote:
Nice Drew. It really looks good. Did you paint the trailer or was it already that color? Goin to mod a boat trailer and I was going to just rattle can paint it black but that blue would look great and match the ivory dune.
I would be careful with the unistrut on front holding the boxes though. That stuff isn't made to hold weight horizontally. Would also be concerned about it being supported only by the small tongue, especially if the load is uneven in the boxes.

That is what I am trying to solve. I want some boxes that will hold 2 vantage XT seats, 2 drives and life vest so I could have the trailer all set ready to go at a moments notice (i.e. leave work early for an afternoon stroll on the water). The problem is the weight and only mounting to a 2x3 tongue. That's why I am going with a rack over the axle above the boat with a car topper I think... still looking.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That's what I plan to do. A Thule box on a rack above the boat. They are expensive but perfect for this application because of the side access. I spent some time looking at the dimensions of the Thule "Force" box and decided I might as well get the biggest one, XXL model 626 after laying out all of the stuff I carry for my Revo. Just waiting for that REI dividend check and 20% discount coupon next week.

Another option I have posted previously :http://www.swagoffroad.com/24-Gallon-Rubber-Maid-Action-Packer-Baja-Bins-_p_37.html
But these are top access and would be better suited to the boat level of a trailer.
Chris

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am looking to do the same to my trailer and I am wondering about the support in the front of the trailer, did you make that, buy it. I also would like to know what is that channel called that you used to attach the unistrut to the the trailer frame. I am a retired carpenter and know a lot about wood not so much about metal. Great idea will help me a lot.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:09 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Grandpa wrote:

I painted it with Rustoleum high performance primer and spray paint. (Proper sanding and cleaning first). That way, if something gets dinged, just paint over it. It holds up pretty well and plenty good enough for trailers. The boxes are just plastic cargo boxes so the uni is plenty strong enough to hold them. There're not big enough for drives or seats, I just keep wheel chocks, tie down straps, bungees, foam padding for keeping amas off hull and to cushion sail , and a small tool box with a few spare mirage drive parts in there, nothing heavy.

I have however thought about bigger aluminum boxes on a beefier support system to hold seats and drives, but have to consider that I need to be able to push the boat and trailer up an incline to get it in the garage. I always do this by hand to keep from banging the rudder on the back wall, so seats go into a big duffle bag, and the drives have Hobie mirage drive bags.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:19 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Rackem wrote:
I am looking to do the same to my trailer and I am wondering about the support in the front of the trailer, did you make that, buy it. I also would like to know what is that channel called that you used to attach the unistrut to the the trailer frame. I am a retired carpenter and know a lot about wood not so much about metal. Great idea will help me a lot.

The support on the front is a wheeled trailer jack that can be found a lot of places like auto stores West Marine, etc. The parts that hold the uni are trailer bunk brackets. Any one that carries trailer parts should have them.

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Jack/Du ... 22300.html

https://www.etrailer.com/Boat-Trailer-P ... 0603G.html

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Drewyaker, the support I am interested in is the one that is supporting the bow of the TI. Starting on my trailer this weekend your ideas have made my job a lot easier.