Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jib sail luff tension
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

So I picked up another boat about a month ago and have been trying to straighten out everything as I go. I noticed that the jib did not have a shackle Hobie #11220000 attaching the sail to the luff wire at tack. There was a pretty good gap, I'd say 1.5-2". I chained together two small shackles that I had laying around and called it good for the time being. I'm looking into it more now, I'd like to set the proper tension so I'm not either A-stretching my jib, or B-sailing with not enough tension on the luff. How do I go about properly tensioning this?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I see that the boat should be rigged and tensioned, then tipped on its side to make the adjustment with the small line at the head, but I have yet to find any recommendations on actual tension.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Put the shackle at the top so you can adjust the bottom like a mainsail downhaul without tipping the boat. That's how my 2000 jib is; pretty sure it was made that way because the top shackle was riveted on.

'00 H16 #104691
'78 H16 #32692 ex-rental [gone]
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

AntonLargiader wrote:
Put the shackle at the top so you can adjust the bottom like a mainsail downhaul without tipping the boat. That's how my 2000 jib is; pretty sure it was made that way because the top shackle was riveted on.

Okay, so I'm guessing it's just a "feel" for how to set the tension? For a middle of the road setting, should I just snug it up and call it good?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Kind of. Mine's disconnected now (shackle broke) so I don't have a reference until I sail next time. I'm just going to take the horizontal wrinkles out, not introduce vertical ones, and see how everything looks as I sail. There are probably people who adjust that for conditions, but I'm not one of them.

'00 H16 #104691
'78 H16 #32692 ex-rental [gone]
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

AntonLargiader wrote:
Kind of. Mine's disconnected now (shackle broke) so I don't have a reference until I sail next time. I'm just going to take the horizontal wrinkles out, not introduce vertical ones, and see how everything looks as I sail. There are probably people who adjust that for conditions, but I'm not one of them.

Right, I'd also just like to set it and forget it. I'm not racing, so I don't really care that much, just would like it to be set optimally for moderate wind and never have to deal with it again.