Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 1:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 6:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi folks,
My partner and I are coming over to Seattle from Australia and plan to take a TI up the inner passage for 3 months from Seattle to Juneau. First things first, if anyone has done or knows of someone who’s completed this trip in a TI please get in touch. Would love some good intel and advice. Secondly, if anyone is selling a TI in good condition in the Pacific Northwest PLEASE let me know. It’s the last major hurdle standing in the way of this expedition. Fingers crossed!

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 10:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Mossda,

I live close to Nanaimo which is along the path you're looking to travel, feel free to reach out with any questions or if you want to meet up on your journey.

1. I'd look at the BC Marine Trails map for guidance on camping spots https://www.bcmarinetrails.org/
2. Be sure you have an emergency beacon of some sort (EPIRB/InReach), ideally also a handheld VHF radio
3. Be sure you dress for the water temperature, it's easy to get chilly around here when in the water, for any extended journey I wear a drysuit
4. Be sure to check tidal charts, currents can get up to 10 knots in some of the channels so you want to be sure you're passing at the right time in the right direction

For the boat I'd have a look at FB Marketplace, Ebay and Craigslist, those are going to be your best bets around here, I know there are a couple of Tandems for sale in Washington state, perhaps one of them works out for you.