Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Newbie needing your help to decide which Hobie Mirage to buy.

I am 6' tall, 32 inseam, currently 220 pounds, will be 185 pounds by this time next year.

Have loved the water for many years and raced outrigger canoes for a couple of years ending three years ago. Have a bad left shoulder that I refuse to have surgery on and will settle for recreational paddling and with the help of the Hobie Mirage will be able enjoy the water a lot. Fishing, Paddling, Touring, and Camping are all on the horizon and will bring much enjoyment.
The big question is which Hobie Mirage kayak is the best for me? Outback, Revolution, or…? I noticed a Fishing model though did not see any difference n the kayaks other than color. Am I missing something?

Is there a September 1st mandatory price increase being enforced by Hobie?

Thank you for your information, suggestions, and opinions. There are no wrong opinions.

Last edited by tomatocity on Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:48 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Hi Tim and welcome to the forum.

The Revolution will have better speed and range. Your length and weight shouldn't be a problem for either boat. The Revolution runs a little quieter through the water. It also seems to have better internal storage and a more accessible front hatch. If you're planning to paddle, you'll find the Revolution much easier. Both boats maneuver very well.

On the other hand, the Outback has a little more stability due to its broader beam. Both are quite stable though. A lot of fishermen like the tray system.

The Adventure, by comparison, is the fastest, smoothest and quietest. In moving water or nasty weather this can offer a nice advantage. It has the most cockpit space and tracks well under paddle. Disadvantages -- it doesn't turn as quickly, and can be wetter at times. Some people have problems transporting and storing its 16' of length.

The fishing models used to come with an accessory package. Now they are all pretty much the same, so you can pick the color and accessories you want regardless.

Speaking of accessories and regardless of the boat, I recommend the large (sailing) rudder. For $23, it really improves the handling. I also love the Turbofins -- they add a significant performance edge.

I think the price increase applies to the '09 model boats, but check with your dealer to be sure. Arrange a demonstration if you can. 8)

Post subject: My Observations
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have both a Outback and a Revolution(well the Revo is actually my wife's) I really love my outback it does everything well that I needed a boat to do while out on the water but there has been many times where I had wished that I had bought 2 Revo's her boat is lighter in w8 by a noticable amount but the on the water differences are much more noticable her boat is quicker, quieter,while mine turns better partly because of the sail rudder but also because the boat is shorter hers will have a sail rudder in the next week mine is a touch more stable but once in hers for only a few minutes any instability that you initially felt disappears as ur body balance takes over.

Knowing what I know now I would buy 2 Revo's for sure the trays are a gr8 plus on the Outback but they don't outweigh tthe pluses of the Revos manners on the water or the slightly liter w8 on land.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Roadrunner wrote:

The Revolution will have better speed and range. Your length and weight shouldn't be a problem for either boat. The Revolution runs a little quieter through the water. It also seems to have better internal storage and a more accessible front hatch. If you're planning to paddle, you'll find the Revolution much easier. Both boats maneuver very well.

On the other hand, the Outback has a little more stability due to its broader beam. Both are quite stable though. A lot of fishermen like the tray system.

The Adventure, by comparison, is the fastest, smoothest and quietest. In moving water or nasty weather this can offer a nice advantage. It has the most cockpit space and tracks well under paddle. Disadvantages -- it doesn't turn as quickly, and can be wetter at times. Some people have problems transporting and storing its 16' of length.

The fishing models used to come with an accessory package. Now they are all pretty much the same, so you can pick the color and accessories you want regardless.

Speaking of accessories and regardless of the boat, I recommend the large (sailing) rudder. For $23, it really improves the handling. I also love the Turbofins -- they add a significant performance edge.

I think the price increase applies to the '09 model boats, but check with your dealer to be sure. Arrange a demonstration if you can. 8)

Runner thanks for the information. I was glad you included the Adventure information since it is only 4 pounds heavier. The 16 foot length is what it is and surely the Revolution was built to be the compromise between the Outback and Adventure. I used to haul and store a 30' 70+ pound tandem Huki outrigger canoe until I sold it and bought a 23' 35 pound single Huki outrigger canoe. Both were fun though the Hobie Mirage seems to be the ultimate considering fun and recreation (no racing) when fishing, touring, paddling (very little), sailing (I want to learn), and camping. Thanks for the comments about upgrading to the Turbofins and the sailing rudder.
Now I have to decide between the Revolution and the Adventure. Can the Adventure be retrofitted to an Adventure Island and reverse?

Tim

Post subject: Re: My Observations
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Fastfish wrote:
I have both a Outback and a Revolution(well the Revo is actually my wife's) I really love my outback it does everything well that I needed a boat to do while out on the water but there has been many times where I had wished that I had bought 2 Revo's her boat is lighter in w8 by a noticable amount but the on the water differences are much more noticable her boat is quicker, quieter,while mine turns better partly because of the sail rudder but also because the boat is shorter hers will have a sail rudder in the next week mine is a touch more stable but once in hers for only a few minutes any instability that you initially felt disappears as ur body balance takes over.

Knowing what I know now I would buy 2 Revo's for sure the trays are a gr8 plus on the Outback but they don't outweigh tthe pluses of the Revos manners on the water or the slightly liter w8 on land.

Fish you helped me eliminate the Outback from the list with the hull noise being the number one reason. Almost every Outback review mentioned hull noise and I like quiet when on a lake early in the morning.

Big Bear Lake is an area I have wanted to visit and never have. Guess I will have to change that next year though I will probably be there on a motorcycle before driving down with a Hobie Mirage kayak. I don't do snow. Is Big Bear Lake your home lake? Mine would be Lake Natoma as the primary and Folsom Lake as the secondary
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=lake%20na ... a=N&tab=wl

Sorry about the link. I can't get it to 100% hyperlink.

Have you peddled an Adventure before? I am looking for as many responses as possible. Thanks.

Last edited by tomatocity on Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:18 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have Revo and sailing it is a lot of fun. Sidekicks are a good addition. I haven't sailed an Adventure but the extra length would be a problem for me. They do have the kit to make it into and Adventure Island. It's cheaper to get the AI up front than to retro fit it.

I got to sail a AI and its a blast. Now I want one! You can read the forum on the AI's. I haven't read where anyone was disappointed.

Just a side note. Go to rackandroll.com and take a look at their trailer. I purchased one last year. And yes, you really can pull it with your motorcycle.

Enjoy your retirement. I sure have been enjoying mine the last 2-1/2 years.

Bruce

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

BNelsonR wrote:
I have Revo and sailing it is a lot of fun. Sidekicks are a good addition. I haven't sailed an Adventure but the extra length would be a problem for me. They do have the kit to make it into and Adventure Island. It's cheaper to get the AI up front than to retro fit it.

I got to sail a AI and its a blast. Now I want one! You can read the forum on the AI's. I haven't read where anyone was disappointed.

Just a side note. Go to rackandroll.com and take a look at their trailer. I purchased one last year. And yes, you really can pull it with your motorcycle.

Enjoy your retirement. I sure have been enjoying mine the last 2-1/2 years.

Bruce

Bruce the reason I ask about the AI is I do see more of them for sale than the others. Thanks for the suggestion about Rack and Roll. We do have one in Sacramento. That would be awesome towing one of these behind a motorcycle. Thanks.

Post subject: Where we Yak&Fish
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Actually we call a small lake thats really close to our home in Claremont our home water its Puddingstone Reservoir we have a second home in Big Bear and try to get out there as much as possible but so far this year it only been 3x the Pudd is our main destination as it will be this next weekend also.

No experience with any other Kayaks,lots of experience with ultra hi-perf fiberglass boats though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:13 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Whether you go for the Adventure or Revolution depends on your priorities. We all have our favorites. I like to go fast and am a huge Adventure fan. It cruises about 1/3 MPH faster than the Revo and has a very smooth ride quality. For sailiing, it's the only model that has a daggerboard well, although all the models get by quite well using their fins as a substitute. They are both fun sailers with the small sail.

I have well over 150 miles in the Revolution (pedaling and sailing) as well and certainly enjoy it -- it's an excellent all around boat. But you just can't beat the way the the Adventure rides! Of course, all the Adventures (except "06 models) convert to the Island, which is ridiculously easy to use and tons of fun. As you can see below, it's hard to wipe the grin off your face!

Try to demo both -- together if you can. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

runner that looks like fun. Checked Google Maps and was surprised on the number of lakes in your area. I got to get to a shop tomorrow to see if I can make arrangements to rent both this Friday. I have been trying to get in touch with a new friend that has a Mirage kayak but I don't know which one.

The differences in the 2009 make me want to buy one but if I find an excellent deal on a 2007 or 2008 I might do that.

Thanks roadrunner.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

tomatocity wrote:
Roadrunner wrote:

Runner thanks for the information. I was glad you included the Adventure information since it is only 4 pounds heavier. The 16 foot length is what it is and surely the Revolution was built to be the compromise between the Outback and Adventure. I used to haul and store a 30' 70+ pound tandem Huki outrigger canoe until I sold it and bought a 23' 35 pound single Huki outrigger canoe. Both were fun though the Hobie Mirage seems to be the ultimate considering fun and recreation (no racing) when fishing, touring, paddling (very little), sailing (I want to learn), and camping. Thanks for the comments about upgrading to the Turbofins and the sailing rudder.
Now I have to decide between the Revolution and the Adventure. Can the Adventure be retrofitted to an Adventure Island and reverse?

Tim

Question - Revo single outrigger with trampoline for carrying camping gear. Does any one have thoughts on adding a single outrigger to the Revo with trampling and if so could this be a way to carry some of the light bulk of camping gear? I have not sailed and not likely to do so.
Hello, purchased my 2009 Revo, sail rudder, turbo fins and love it! Now find that I want to do camping at age 68, am 5-11, 180 lbs. and thinking weight capacity is not an issue. Bulk of camping gear even with reasonable minimialist frame of mind is puzzling to me. At first blush my Revo has little capacity to carry multi day camping gear. Would love to hear any ideas on pro and con. The length of Revo works well for me.
Thank you in advance for any input, holtfisher located in Puget Sound area Washington state. NWKA.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Warm weather, I wish. Think I will add the Island kit for 2010.