Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:44 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello, I am a new Hobie Outfitter owner and a new poster to this list. After owning it for about a month, I have broken the rudder pin. This is the "Twist and Stow" rudder. My dealer indicated the pin is the weak link in the system designed to fail first and save damage to the rest of the system. Sounds fine but the replacement is not something that can be done easily. The dealer gave me a generous supply of spare pins but I wonder what would give first if I replaced the plastic pin with an aluminum one. I have never had a rudder equipped boat that did not have some sort of kick up or easily replaced feature in the system.

So my question is if anyone has experience with this issue and what the ramifications are of a stronger rudder pin.

Thanks in advance for help in this matter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:44 am 
Site Admin

The pins should have a "D" shaped head to help pass the control lines making installation pretty easy.

You can use a stronger material, just be careful about backing into things with the rudder down.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My pin has a "flattened mushroom" head and the "up and down" lines interfere with the removal of the pin, hence the concern about field repairs. There is no good way to grab the top of the pin without the possibility of damaging the control lines and passing the pin by the lines is difficult. Thanks for the quick reply.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just cut a portion of the head off so it looks "D" shaped and it's easy to pop off clearing the lines. Dykes (Diagonal Cutting Pliers) work well for this.

Kayaking Bob

Post subject: New Style Rudder Pin
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:27 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Has anyone experienced negative results from replacing the plastic rudder pin with an aluminum one?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

No I haven't and I am not one that will press this issue. Listen to the expert guidence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Has anyone replaced a plastic rudder pin with aluminum? I understand that backing a rudder into anything will damage it, but I wonder if anyone has done this and wished they hadn't. Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It turns out the replacement pins have a difference that makes the replacement much less of a problem. In a reply post, Matt referred to a "D" shaped pin. I could not understand that. It turns out the replacements have a "D" shape when looking from the top. This makes removal and passing the rudder lines much easier. The original pin had a round head.

What a cool boat! Money well spent. I am looking foirward to using the Outrfitter this winter in the Florida Keys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Seems I read on the KFS forum that some people were replacing the bin with a rhreaded bolt of the proper dia and length. Matt Miller commented on that but I don't remember what he said. Perhaps he will chime in here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:59 am 
Site Admin

valfitzandrew wrote:
Seems I read on the KFS forum that some people were replacing the bin with a rhreaded bolt of the proper dia and length. Matt Miller commented on that but I don't remember what he said. Perhaps he will chime in here.

Quote:
You can use a stronger material, just be careful about backing into things with the rudder down.

The pins are a safety factor. Damage to the hull or rudder assembly from using a non standard pin would not be considered a warranty situation.

Keep your paddle on the boat when you go out. You can steer using the paddle if you do fail a pin.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)